Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I build a tiled deck?

VISHNIL
Just Starting Out

Can I build a tiled deck?

I have 40sq mt of area in backyard. I find it difficult to keep neat and clean. Can i build concrete deck? and the tile over .Wooden deck loos nice but cost is too much. Advise please.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: BACKYARD DECK

Hello @VISHNIL 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your backyard.

Depending on the thickness of the concrete, accessibility and location you might be surprised that building a timber deck is more affordable. However, before we go any further, would it be possible for you to post a photo of your backyard? This will give our members a better idea of what it looks like. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

Perhaps you can configure your backyard in such a way that maintenance will not be such an issue. I propose building a combination of timber deck and a paved walkway that will give your backyard more use. Or maybe build a siting area with a gazebo and fire pit. 

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular garden makeovers.

Let me call on our experienced members @Renowayoflife, @lifestylebymari and @daniknight4 for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: BACKYARD DECK

HI @VISHNIL Welcome to the community!

I may be making an assumption but it looks like you want to build it yourself to save money? Unless you have experience with concrete you may be better considering and pricing a timber deck.

There's a lot of form work that you would need to do to get a nice finish and although it's not impossible, I haven't concreted a deck before so can't add much to this. A wood deck on the other hand is much more DIY friendly and you can search the marketplace listings to see if you can find reclaimed timber to keep the costs down?

I know I haven't necessarily answered your question but maybe it's work a little more research into both options and considering how you plan to achieve the desired finish and aesthetic.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects