Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I seal bottom of paling fence?

PhoenixClose1
Growing in Experience

Can I seal bottom of paling fence?

This is a weird scenario.

My neighbour lets their dog pee on their side of our shared fence. (They deny it).The dog pees on their side, the urine flows under the fence and into my side.  Photo below shows a very mild day. You can see the discolouration from more substantial pees. The odor is undeniably dog urine.

QUESTION: I was wondering if I could somehow seal the bottom of the fence on my side so that the dog pee remains on their side. What's a cheap thing I can use? 

It seems to mostly happen at the spot where the concrete has eroded. (Maybe it has eroded because it's been happening for years before I moved in to this place).

1.jpg

Below is the spot where the dog urine comes into my side:

3.jpg

2.jpg

The bottom of the fence seems to sit a little lower than the concrete so if the dog pees on some other part that's not eroded, the pee might just remain within the trench. However, if pee gets through the trench, it will flow towards my house as the concrete slopes toward my house.  So I might also want to seal these sections.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Thanks for any tips!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I seal bottom of paling fence?

That's a difficult one, @PhoenixClose1!

Do you think if you renailed that proud board, you will be able to squeeze Saxon 150mm x 10m Black Garden Edge down between the timber and concrete slab? There's clearly a gap on the right-hand side it will fit into; it's just the left that it might be a squeeze. Installing the edging and screwing it into the fence might direct the pee back to their side.

I'm not normally a fan of using deterrents, but in this case, I'd make it an exception. Perhaps you could spray Multicrop 3L Keep Off Dog And Cat Repellent along the fence line which would make it an unpleasant experience for the dog to continue to use that area as their lutrine.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc.

I will inspect a little closer to see if i can slide in that garden edge tape. For something a little more permanent, i was also wondering about filling the gaps  with something like quick drying cement, or a foaming rubber if theres such a thing. I havent worked with cement before though. What can go wrong?

PS or something like this? https://www.bunnings.com.au/parfix-340g-triple-expanding-foam-filler_p1232844

You could certainly explore those options @PhoenixClose1. However, the edging is a thick and robust plastic that, if it can be installed correctly, would be a very effective long-term solution. A concern I have about the expanding foam is that if it expands out onto the neighbour's side, they might have their own complaint. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects