Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you install decking boards with grooves up?

Farleys
Getting Established

Can you install decking boards with grooves up?

Been meaning to post this for a while. A few weeks ago I was at a mates place and noticed his deck had decking boards with the grooves. I told him I thought they were supposed to face down. He said they were meant to be that way so you don't slip, which didn't sound right. Is it just preferance or are you definitely meant to install decking boards with the grooves on the underside facing down?

Decking.png

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Can you install decking boards with grooves up?

While on a corporate tour of a new Uni extension aka chance to go for lunch, I did notice that some areas the cladding had moved on from the trendy batten fix look to put the outer boards on edge.

On a side note it is interesting just what you can make on a 250k 3d printer:love:

You guys (?) are hilarious but........ my poor carpenter is sitting on the bones of what will (??) be my new beautiful EKODECK and  muttering to himself in some foreign tongue. All because I asked which side will be 'up' and refused to accept 'something united'.  I have to get my groove on! Cheers

stupidfish
Building a Reputation

Looks like there is only one way to do it!

We recommend installing the smooth side up so that the rain runs off easily helping to prolong the life of the deck and making it easier to keep clean.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/90-x-22mm-2-4m-ironwood-micropro-treated-pine-decking_p0053283

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Trying, after exhaustively trolling of the Bunnings site, I discovered that Ekodeck is mould and mildew resistant, which is a very good thing, but then noticed that they don't have no grooves.

Insist that your lazy, foriegn tongued carpenter route grooves on all surfaces, & pencil edges them too so you don't get splinters.

That should sort 'im out. :grin:

Hi all. i'm new here. I do have a funny story about this topic though.
I was working in the paint and flooring area at Mitre 10 and had a customer tell me that the grooved side up on all decking timber is Kwila.
So if you have pine and install it grooved side up, then you now have Kwila! Congratulations!

But seriously though, groove side up is for air flow as well as expansion and contraction. I don't think it looks good either. However, if you like the look of it then do it however you like. Just make sure that you leave the wood long enough for it to weather before staining or oiling, and that you wash it before hand to help take away the natural tannins of the wood. Different subject but hopefully still helpful.

ribbed will be a thing of the past soon
Smooth both sides will be the norm moving forward

Thanks for joining in the discussion @AndyPantz89. Sounds like you have loads of experience and knowledge to share. Welcome to Workshop. We're rapt to have you join us and look forward to seeing a lot more of your posts soon. We have clever and creative members sharing inspiring projects and helpful advice every day, so we're sure you'll fit right in.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can make Workshop more useful to you.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

• I have the best of both worlds. I installed my original modwood decking with alternate grooves down and grooves up. Just gave the deck a nice texture as well as serving the purpose. Steel joists at 400 centres, black tape to top of joists  and board ends screwed with intermediate stainless steel nails, all predrilled. Still going strong after many years service. Also used ecodeck in a similar manner with ends screwed and lengths s. s. nailed, all predrilled with screws csk.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects