Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you paint a Limestone wall?

LD1
Just Starting Out

Can you paint a Limestone wall?

Hi, just wondering if we can paint a limestone wall? 
We have a big limestone wall in our backyard which we don’t like the colour, it looks dirty. 
Any ideias on what to do on that wall? 

Thank

IMG_0664.jpeg

you 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Limestone wall

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @LD1. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting a limestone retaining wall.

You might like to read through these discussions: Can you paint reconstituted limestone blocks, and How can I clean and brighten this discoloured limestone wall?

I would first attempt to clean the wall with a high-pressure washer and outdoor cleaning products. You might be able to brighten the finish to an acceptable level. 

I'd always caution against painting retaining walls, as the moisture that naturally seeps through them from behind tends to push the paint off because it's non-porous. The paint might adhere, but if it fails, you'll be left with a wall that has paint on it in some sections and not in others. That would be a real headache to try and resolve. The other problems is the moisture from the wall easily discolours the paint.

My suggestion would be to consider screening options, including panels and climbers plants.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects