Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Colorbond gate install

MarkT
Finding My Feet

Colorbond gate install

Hi all, I am fitting a Colorbond gate to a 50mm aluminium post, but I am wondering what the best way to fit the post to an existing brick wall would be. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Colorbond gate install

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MarkT. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Have you selected a gate hinge that you will use yet? It would just be a case of Dynabolting the hinge to the wall. Depending on the type of hinge, you might need to space it out from the wall. In that case, you would bolt a post to the wall and then install the hinge onto it.

We look forward to hearing more about your project and offering some solutions for the installation. Please let me know if you need further information or have questions. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi, i have been supplied easy close hinges and i will need to use the post as the gate is made to measure with the use of 2x 50mm post for the hinge and closure side, do I bolt right through the post or drill a hole in one side and fix just the back edge of the post to the wall, so the head of the fixing would be inside the post so to speak, Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@MarkT,

I would advise installing the bolt inside the post on the back wall. If you install the bolt through the whole post, it can tend to crush it. If it is a particularly thick-walled post, then you would be fine bolting straight through.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects