Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Composite Decking

EmmaBourke
Getting Established

Composite Decking

Hi All,

I am currently in the process of planning my deck and would like to know what peoples opinions are on compsite decking. What brand did you use? Pros, Cons ect..

Thanks

Emma

Re: Composite Decking

Hi all

hope you are well. I am considering decking outdoor area of 5M x 3M. It will be over concrete and next to timber stacker doors, i am choosing a colour similar to timber stain.

I am looking for some insights on what material to use for joists (steel or timber) and have seen from some videos to lay joists over batten which i might do if i go with timber joists.

Does anyone have a materials list etc to share?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @lalesh_nadi. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I trust you'll find loads of helpful information on the community in previous discussions about this topic. You might like to start by reading through this article: How to build a low-level deck  by @Adam_W. Within it, Adam discusses various materials used in the construction of a deck. It would also be worth viewing our Top 10 most popular deck projects for inspiration.

You should find these previous discussions on the topic helpful:

We look forward to hearing more about your project and would encourage you to let us know anytime you need assistance or have something to share with the community. I trust you'll find loads of information about decking from within the community as our members are contributing their knowledge and projects here all the time.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @lalesh_nadi & welcome!
Really it comes down to what you prefer to work with as both are durable.
Have you considered pre-fab product?
I've used these guys for our pool decks and then found it made life so simple we used it for our entire house renovation too! You basically just provide the measurements then they come back with plans.
Or there is Good Times who do timber deck modular systems which I'm thinking of using myself for a decking walkway.
The initial outlay of modular or pre-fab may seem more but you save in the longer term as installation is faster & there is virtually no wastage.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects