Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Composite Decking

EmmaBourke
Getting Established

Composite Decking

Hi All,

I am currently in the process of planning my deck and would like to know what peoples opinions are on compsite decking. What brand did you use? Pros, Cons ect..

Thanks

Emma

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: Composite Decking

My thoughts are with you @Trying, & hope that you're safe & secure in your adorable plot.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry to hear that @Trying. I hope the rain stops and river level subsides quickly. Please stay safe.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoshRaf
Building a Reputation

Hi @EmmaBourke,

There many pros to composite decking which others have already mentioned and I personally think it's great but here are a few cons to keep in mind. 

1. Its expensive (compared to timber)

2. Its quite brittle. Ive dropped something the weighed about 3kg on an ekodeck and a huge hole smashed through it which i'm sure wouldn't have happened with timber. Luckily composite decking is easy to replace. 

3. It can get scratched from things such as furniture and is quite visible unlike timber. 

4. It can get quite hot when in direct sun. This happens to most surfaces but composite decking gets slightly hotter than timber.

Despite the above, if you have decided that you want to go ahead with it, heres a great video you should watch if youre planning on installing it yourself...

I built a deck over last summer and strongly considered a composite deck, or eko deck. I didn't end up going for it mainly after seeing a mate's smaller deck. It does scratch and scuff a bit easy, which probably wouldn't have been to great with my dog, plus my mate's deck appeared to 'shrink' little. The shrink wasn't massive bit a few mm can be noticeable in certain places.

Thanks for sharing @Spudzmckenzy, much appreciated. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. It's great to have you join us. I hope you find plenty of useful information, advice and inspiration on the site. I'm looking forward to reading about your projects, too.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Kermit  It feels great! Bare feet - no splinters. Too early to tell much but so far I am one happy, happy workshopper !Cheers

Trying
Making a Splash

Hello again @EmmaBourke thought you might like a 'deck update'. The screening boards are now being installed as well as the barge boards around the base. The roof is in place with the guttering and downpipes next. It's looking like it's been here all the time. Amazing ! Didn't think I'd be so excited again about some 'timber' and a few nails !  Must plead guilt to a glass of red at sunset already. No sense wasting time at my age !! CheersDSCN0267.JPG

EmmaBourke
Getting Established

Thanks for the update @Trying its looks great!
My deck arrives on Thursday, am looking forward to it being down and to have a few drinks myself :smile:

Sounds great @EmmaBourke. Hope you can find time to share a photo or two. Best of luck  for Thursday. Cheers.

I suggest the composite deck boards for decking services. You can check the composite decking images:composite deckingcomposite deckingcomposite deckingcomposite deckingcomposite deckingcomposite decking

You can also view some attractive composite decking images through this link: http://contemporarydecks.net/composite-decking/

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects