Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Deck Stain Advise

SarangR
Growing in Experience

Deck Stain Advise

Hi,

I was planning to start staining my deck this weekend but it seems weather is going to overturn it. 

In preparation for staining on weekend, I gave my deck a clean with the recommended cleaning products, scrubbing & pressure cleaning on Friday and left it for drying overnight.

Since cleaning the deck, it has rained and weather has gone cold and I need to postpone the staining work to next weekend.

If I start staining work next weekend, do I need to re-do the cleaning process again or can I get away with a quick pressure clean.

Appreciate if people can provide any feedback on how to go about in these type of situations.

Thank you,

Sarang

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Deck Stain Advise

Hi @SarangR,

I'm sorry to hear your plans have been postponed.

The deck will be fine until next weekend. Try to keep any leaf litter off it in the meantime, if wet leaves sit on the deck they might leave stains. I would try to avoid washing it again with water prior to oiling/staining your deck. If the wood is saturated with water it won't absorb the coating very well. It would be preferable to apply the coating to a dry deck, that way it will soak the oil/stain deep into the timber.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have more questions. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SarangR
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you very much for your feedback and suggestion.

Will follow your guidance apply the stain directly on to the deck.

Sarang

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SarangR,

We look forward to seeing your results and I trust our members will appreciate seeing some images of your finished deck.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or run into any issues.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects