Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Deck makeover

marliemakesit
Making a Splash

Deck makeover

From a dull and dated eyesore to an inviting outdoor entertainment space!

If you like this project, please follow me on Instagram and Pinterest for more DIY home and garden ideas!

Deck Edited.jpg

To start this deck makeover, we removed the old bamboo fence screens and painted the fence using Dulux Weathershield in the colour Woodland Grey. We then started growing our plant collection and purchasing outdoor furniture over the next year, without doing much else to the deck. 

1.png

When we moved into our house two years ago the deck had not been maintained and although we did have a go at sanding it back and re-staining we weren’t overly happy with the result. After a lot of back and forth we finally decided to paint the deck! We used Cabots Timbercolour exterior paint in the colour Jasper. I think this has made an amazing difference to the look and feel of this deck space, really lightening it up and bringing the deck back to life!

2.png

We also gave our Bunnings Mimosa dining table and lounge a fresh coat of Cabot’s exterior stain in the colour European Beech. This muted the orange tones of the wood and delivers a Mediterranean vacay vibe!

I’ve been wanting to hang string lights over the deck for ages, and we ended up going with solar-powered festoon lights from Sola Garden.

Now we have a fresh outdoor deck area just in time for summer!

IMG_7609 (2).JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Deck makeover

Hello @marliemakesit

Thank you very much for sharing your deck makeover project. What a beautiful transformation, the colour you've chosen has really made the decking area so much more inviting. The dark colour stain was starting to look a bit dated and the bamboo screening was no longer fresh. Painting the Mimosa table has made it blend in with the deck so much better. Adding the festoon lights is a nice touch, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the area in the evening with the lights on? I'm sure our members would be keen to see your decking area with the festoon lights on.   

Again, thank you very much for sharing your wonderful decking revamp project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Eric! Of course, that's a great idea. I do have a photo of the lights at night :smile:

IMG_7667-1.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @marliemakesit

Thank you so much for posting that photo with the festoon lights on. It's good to know that the lights are actually quite bright in the evening. This will give our members a much better idea of how bright the solar festoon lights are.

Eric

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Congratulations on a terrific project, @marliemakesit! You've truly managed to make a beautiful outdoor entertaining space on your deck. It's amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do, isn't it?

What were some of the lessons you learnt along the way? 

Congratulations once again, and looking forward to seeing your next project. 

Akanksha

Thanks Akanksha! Paint can definitely make all the difference :smile:

I think what I took away from this project is that it's ok to take your time and not to get overwhelmed by larger scale projects. This deck makeover was completed over the course of two years and broken down into smaller projects, but we got there in the end and are so pleased with the outcome. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects