Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Decking on to concrete slab

weesp
Finding My Feet

Decking on to concrete slab

First post :smile:

I am going to put decking on to my concrete patio. Going to use the minifoot pedastals on to the slab and use 90x45mm joists. Considering the deck height is only going to be 140mm at its heights, what span between the pedastals should be be looking at?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Decking on to concrete slab

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @weesp. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

You'd be looking at placing a Builders Edge 25-40mm Pedestal Foot Minifoot at least every meter. Using 90 x 45mm timber for a deck structure would really be the bare minimum, and it needs to be supported well. You could space you footers further apart if you double up and create 90 x 90mm joists. Use both liquid nails and Paslode 75 x 3.75mm 2kg Flat Head Galvanised Nails when joining the timbers.

You should find this guide helpful: How To Build A Low-Level Deck by @Adam_W.

Please let me know if you need further help or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @weesp,

I'm just checking in to see if you have made any progress or need further assistance with your decking project. We're here to help.

Mitchell 

I've literally just come in from putting the second coat of decking oil on Mitch. Took your advice and actually had the span quite small. Over engineered but there is no knocking at all and it's nice and level. Thanks for your advice 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's fantastic news @weesp! I'm delighted your project is going well.

Any chance of a quick image of the deck when you're not too busy? I trust our members would love to see.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects