Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dog training tips

aly
Making a Splash

Dog training tips

We recently purchased a Halti head collar for our 1 year old curly retriever in an attempt to have better control over him when we took him on walks. He wasn't overly menacing when we took him out but he had a few bad puppy habits we wanted to put a stop to so we could enjoy our walks more. We've only taken him on a handful of walks with the new collar but so far it's proving great. I'll admit it is a little tough getting the collar on his snout now but i'm hopeful he'll get used to it soon. Has anyway else had an experience with gentle leaders, either the head collars or harnesses?

Here's what we got...

https://www.petbarn.com.au/petlife-halti-head-collar-black

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: Dog training tips

@aly, an update:

The cone didn't bother Connor, but when I saw him racing through the undergrowth of shrubs, I was concerned that he'd yank his neck if het go caught up.

Strangely, I was able to find one of the stocking stuffed neck bands, & fitted that instead. The thing with Connor is that he's lowish IQ, but if he's hell bent on getting to something, he will. Yep, what'd worked for the others, was a fail with Connor.

On went the thinking cap, so instead of socks, I used 4 interlocking fatigue mat edges, that're used with these:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/polytuf-50-x-50cm-solid-black-foam-mats-4-pack_p4490383

I used a rubber band to hold them in shape around his neck, which made look like Rudolf the raindeer, as there were 15cm antlers on either side. It was quite amusing.

That worked a treat, & he soon lost interest in trying to get at the wound, to the point that we were able to remove it a couple of days earlier than instructed.

One of the biggest difference that we saw in his behaviour, was that he wasn't in Darcy's face, & over exuberant with him, but alas, I spoke too soon.

For now it's a firm NO whenever we see their play starting to get out of hand, so he's still a work in progress.

Hi Andy, give him some time, i'm sure he'll settle at some point :smile:
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@aly I hope you're right, straight after I read your post, he chewed Tania's Crossword book, converted an anti-slip mat to an over the head bib, & will be pooping my hankie in a day or two. :wink:

He's also shredded every toy we've given him, instead of calling him Connor, maybe Conan the Toyminator. :cheeky:

This could be the perfect fix:

Safety with a smile: Cesar Millan's Funny Muzzle!

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@aly

Times are a changing, Connor's getting the gist of catching a tennis ball, & joining in with toy wrestle tug & wars, instead of just wanting to wreck them. That may not sound like much, but it's huge for us, plus he now enjoys a good ol' scratch & cuddle.

I'm hugely confident that he's on his way to matching, or exceeding the joy that we've gotten from each of our other boys, present & past. :bigsmile:

That's great to hear Andy!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects