Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dog training tips

aly
Making a Splash

Dog training tips

We recently purchased a Halti head collar for our 1 year old curly retriever in an attempt to have better control over him when we took him on walks. He wasn't overly menacing when we took him out but he had a few bad puppy habits we wanted to put a stop to so we could enjoy our walks more. We've only taken him on a handful of walks with the new collar but so far it's proving great. I'll admit it is a little tough getting the collar on his snout now but i'm hopeful he'll get used to it soon. Has anyway else had an experience with gentle leaders, either the head collars or harnesses?

Here's what we got...

https://www.petbarn.com.au/petlife-halti-head-collar-black

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: Dog training tips

Has your little mate been de-sexed?

I ask, because even though I fancy myself as a substantiated/successful dog whisperer, our 10 month old Sheltie is out of control.

He's set to undergo the operation Tuesday, so I'll keep you posted on whether it worked.

Unfortunately, even highly qualified breeders (as in our case) can be duped into forking out for a mating partner, that's been falsely represented.

One thing for certain, Retrievers are a beautiful breed, so I hope all works out well.

Hey Andy, our pup was de-sexed at about 9 months and he definitely settled down after it (minus the crazy week of wearing the head cone). He's not terrible on the lead but I found his strength would mean he was pulling me rather than me walking him. I have a lot of confidence in this new head collar though...
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

G'day @aly

Thanks for the reassurance that little Connor's operation will help, we've always had our boys done as early as we could, mainly to lessen the chance of testicular cancer.

We were offered first pick of the litter, being returning customers, but we wanted to stay with our proven formula of having the last one left, they've all been beautiful.

The complication with Connor, was that the breeder couldn't decide which one of the last 2 to keep as a show dog, so we offered to keep the one that we'd be given entire, if she ever wanted to breed from him.

As I mentioned before, I'm extremely forgiving & patient, but Connor pushed me beyond limits, so Tania rang the breeder to break the news that we were contemplating having him defused. To our surprise, she was all for it, as his brother's the same.

I did some research on your Halti head collar, & it seems to be very successful. Some acclaimed dog trainers are all for them, but recommend putting the dog back on a normal lead/collar as soon as possible. The thing with dogs is that they're a pack animal, & they have an established hierarchy of having a leader, that the others follow/respect. Even with the Halti, make sure you have a short lead, so that he walks next to you, if you let him lead, you're signalling to him that he's above you & that he sets the rules.

I'd suggest that your stronger hubby/partner handle the leash, & that you walk beside them. If he pulls, he's to be restrained with the head collar, & praised immediately if/when he responds. Once you're comfortable with how he's complying, maybe you could walk slightly ahead, & hubby/partner controls him with the head collar. Again, praise him immediately, & continue until his compliance is a given. To take it further, maybe you could take the lead, while hubby/partner walks next to you both, then when comfortable, get hubby/partner to lead as you had before. That way you both establish the lead roles, & he'll be a breeze to walk.

Thanks & good luck

John

Hi Andy, we've already been alternating between the Halti and the regular lead so we can improve our pups overall walking rather than be reliant on the head collar. So far it's all going to plan. We normally hold him rather close so he is walking by our side too. Thanks for the advice!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@aly, sounds to me like you needn't have asked, what you're doing is spot on. : )

Enjoy your gorgeous retriever.

Our little bloke's gone in for his op today, so I'll let you know how it went.

Good luck Andy, i'm sure he'll be fine!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@aly, fabulous news, the little bloke arrived home in a great frame of mind & we're in awe of how well he's coping. He's even taken the cone in his stride, & doing far better than any of our other boys ever did.

Thanks very much for your good wishes, I'm sure it's that, that made the difference. : )

Great to hear Andy! Our pup was rather dopey when we got him home and as I mentioned the days after just went crazy with the cone on. It was funny at first but we were glad to get it off him after the week or so he had it on. Good your fella has taken well to it!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@aly, the cone had been a problem with our other boys, so for them, I filled a stocking, after snipping the toe off, with socks, & thread their collar through it so that it impeded their neck movement enough that they couldn't get to the wound.

Sorta like a temporary, but firmish, double chin.

I didn't have to bother this time, Connor wasn't phased at all by the cone.

I tell yah, life's full of surprises, we were nervous about how he'd be, but he's totally blown us away with his demeanour.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects