Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Driving Mrs Marlie: 1962 vintage caravan makeover

Patsy60
Getting Established

Driving Mrs Marlie: 1962 vintage caravan makeover

We bought an old 1962 vintage caravan & revamped it into 2023. 

Materials

• Paint from Bunnings
  • Lino from Bunnings
  • Ply wood from Bunnings
  • Sink from Bunnings
  • Exterior & internal rails from Bunnings
  • BBQ from Bunnings
  • Nails, screws, hinges from Bunnings
  • Wire & Cane baskets from Bunnings
  • Outdoor Mat from Bunnings

Tools

• Drills
  • hammers

Steps

Step 1

Bought a vintage caravan in very poor condition. She needed lots of work & love, but we could see her potential as our next DIY project. She was born in 1962, but we knew we could make her sparkle & live her best life in 2023 & beyond. 

Before picsBefore picsIMG_1530.pngIMG_1553.jpegIMG_0122.jpeg

Step 2

We ripped out what was left internally. A lot of wood rot. She leaked badly. Poor ol gal needed a lot of care. We decided to completely reconfigure her to our needs. My needs were a shower, a loo, and a comfy bed. Hubbies were a usable friendly kitchen, a tv, fridge & keeping her as light as possible to ensure renewing rego & to be safe out on the roads.

During her massive renoDuring her massive renoIMG_1529.jpegIMG_1527.jpegIMG_1528.jpeg

Step 3

The fun part for me started with the DIY. I created lights out of beetroot cans. Decoupaged small off cuts of wood into backing panels for the retro handles we found on eBay. I painted the inside of the cupboard, that became our loo, into a quirky flamingo loo room. Made a Bunnings outdoor coir mat into a hold all for bits and pieces.The fun part for me started with the DIY. I created lights out of beetroot cans. Decoupaged small off cuts of wood into backing panels for the retro handles we found on eBay. I painted the inside of the cupboard, that became our loo, into a quirky flamingo loo room. Made a Bunnings outdoor coir mat into a hold all for bits and pieces.IMG_1549.jpegIMG_1551.jpegIMG_1535.jpegIMG_1524.jpeg

Step 4

We added a cutie pattootie sink from Bunnings, got the tap from eBay, painted the baskets from Bunnings, installed the BBQ from Bunnings under the double bed, so it could slide out for our many anticipated delicious meals,We added a cutie pattootie sink from Bunnings, got the tap from eBay, painted the baskets from Bunnings, installed the BBQ from Bunnings under the double bed, so it could slide out for our many anticipated delicious meals,IMG_1546.jpegIMG_1538.jpegIMG_1547.jpegIMG_1525.jpeg

Step 5

Getting close to the finishing line. Hubby painted flamazing flamingos on the exterior. All external & internal paint was purchased from Bunnings. Hubby created an internal drop down door, from the loo cupboard ( the cupboard that keeps on keeping lol ) We are absolutely stoked with our progress. Couldn’t wait to go away in her.Getting close to the finishing line. Hubby painted flamazing flamingos on the exterior. All external & internal paint was purchased from Bunnings. Hubby created an internal drop down door, from the loo cupboard ( the cupboard that keeps on keeping lol ) We are absolutely stoked with our progress. Couldn’t wait to go away in her.IMG_1519.jpegIMG_1521.jpegIMG_1532.jpegIMG_1537.jpegIMG_1536.jpegIMG_1544.jpegIMG_1531.jpeg

Step 6

And at last we were off on our adventures. Driving Mrs Marlie was a labour of love. She was named in memory of Robs beautiful mum Marlene. I got my loo and my shower, and he even put in a mini washing machine for me. This was very possibly our largest DIY project to date. It took us a year to do, in between living life. We absolutely love her. Nearly everything was repurposed & recreated. We are so happy we saved her. She turns many heads and she has been photographed quite a bit by curious travellers. They all smile when they see her. My loo is the one feature that definitely makes everyone laugh out loud.And at last we were off on our adventures. Driving Mrs Marlie was a labour of love. She was named in memory of Robs beautiful mum Marlene. I got my loo and my shower, and he even put in a mini washing machine for me. This was very possibly our largest DIY project to date. It took us a year to do, in between living life. We absolutely love her. Nearly everything was repurposed & recreated. We are so happy we saved her. She turns many heads and she has been photographed quite a bit by curious travellers. They all smile when they see her. My loo is the one feature that definitely makes everyone laugh out loud.IMG_1543.jpegIMG_1540.pngIMG_1541.jpegIMG_1542.jpegIMG_1533.jpegFDC64F48-F127-443B-AC2D-56D320C410A2.jpegIMG_0200.jpegIMG_0164.jpegIMG_0160.jpegIMG_0153.jpegIMG_0046.jpegIMG_9866.jpegIMG_9877.jpegIMG_9937.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Driving Mrs Marlie, our Caravan makeover

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Patsy60. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing this marvellous project.

What an incredible transformation! You've really created a stylish and novel getaway vehicle and your creative DIY skills have made it a unique and charming space. I love the fun little quirk of the flamingo-themed loo room. I'm sure the functional additions like the sink, tap, BBQ, and mini washing machine make it a comfortable and convenient space for your adventures.

What are some of the most memorable experiences or places you've visited with Mrs. Marlie? And are there any future plans to further enhance the caravan's features and design?

Love your work!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Driving Mrs Marlie, our Caravan makeover

Awwww thank you so very much for your kind encouraging words. Hubby is the clever one! I just do the pretty stuff, once he’s done the hard yakka. Yes my flamazing flamingo loo, got so many laughs when we travelled up to Crescent Head in March. We had the most amazing time camping & I loved it even more than I thought I would, lol possibly because the princess in me, got my ‘wish list’. We have at least one more adventure booked on the horizon. We are off to a vintage caravan get together in Shellharbour in October ( should take us about 15 mins to get there.. too funny.. hubby will fish all day and I will read and relax & make new friends. At this stage the only things we have added are two privacy screens (created by the same Australian company in Victoria). We realised we needed them on the last trip. For shade, protection & some added privacy. We are so looking forward to doing many more trips away in her. Thank you Mitchell. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects