Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Extended alfresco Deck

UncleAz
Growing in Experience

Extended alfresco Deck

Hi All,

I am currently planning out the deck for our new home which is getting built.  The build was a little more expensive with all the extras we put in and wanted to try and save some money by doing the work on the deck myself.  Plus I can say I built something on my home.  My issue with the deck is that it is an L type shape as it has been extended slightly.

The deck is going over concrete and has a slight fall in line with guidelines.  I have chosen to use 90 x 45 joists and am open to recommendations as it is my first deck. 

I have done some research and like the klevaklip product so any input from someone who has used these before would be appreciated. Also if there are any alternate options am open to suggestions.

I am thinking to do some mitre cuts to for the edges for a 'frame' to the boards 

and want to understand if this is my first boards on the house etc will I need to put a double joist in place or are these not going to flex if I just use the normal joist spacing?

Thanks in advance

edging of deck.jpgDecking spaceDecking space

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Extended alfresco Deck

Hi @UncleAz,

You'll most likely need to have a double joist. On one side of the deck, you can extend the joists so you have something to nail the mitred framing boards onto, but on the other, an additional 90 x 45mm piece of timber will be needed. This is because there won't be enough width to the 45mm timber to secure the end of the deck boards and the framing board.

Just to let you know I've made contact with Klevaklip and their products are available through our special order desks instore. If you were after the joist support system we can certainly order them for you. I believe @bruce93 has some experience with Klevaklip so he might be able to assist with any questions you have.

You should find this step-by-step tutorial helpful: How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bruce93
Building a Reputation

Hi @UncleAz 

@MitchellMc is correct I have built a deck before using the klevaklip adjustable supports before so please let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to help.

Thanks,
Bruce

UncleAz
Growing in Experience

Thanks so much for the information.  I was thinking along the lines that you have mentioned I just wanted to ensure that I was doing the right thing.  Really appreciate the help and suggestions.

UncleAz
Growing in Experience

Thanks @bruce93 really appreciate you reaching out.  I do have a question around the ease of use for klevaklip products.  My biggest concern is trying to make sure it is level but I understand that the klevaklip system adjusts easily.  Any advice with layout of joists?

Thanks in advance.

bruce93
Building a Reputation

Hi @UncleAz 

The levelling is the most time consuming part of the whole process. But then again if you take your time and get it right then the laying the boards is the easy part. 

In regards to layout of the joists. I was told by Demak who I sourced the joist supports from that the easiest way to do it is lay your joists 90x45mm treated pine on the floor. Make sure they are spaced 450mm centres as recommended. And then with a builders pencil trace the side of each joist onto the concrete. Then remove the joists. The advantage of doing this is when you lay the klevaklip down to secure it to the slab it is actually marked where the joist will be with 2 grooves. 

I've circled the image where the grooves are. 

I hope this makes sense. I also would recommend using all galvanised fixings being outside for the hardware associated to the Joist Support. 

Klevaklip.JPG 

UncleAz
Growing in Experience

Hi all,

It's taken a while to complete but I really appreciate all the help people gave me in my prep work.  I completed this a while ago.  I agree with @bruce93 that using the klever klip was really time consuming when it comes to the levelling of the joists it becomes time consuming.  I would probably use a different method if I was to do something similar again.  But here are some pics of my work.  I had to adjust some things after these pics because they weren't perfect and I kinda get frustrated looking at something that isn't the way I wanted it.

UncleAz_0-1632279095063.jpeg

UncleAz_1-1632279130635.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @UncleAz

Thank you so much for posting those updates to your extended deck project, it looks fantastic! What kind of fixing system did you use to secure your deck panels? Have you decided what colour you're going to stain it with? How long did the entire project take to finish? Any tips or advice you can share about this build would be much appreciated.

I've placed some handy links below that you might find useful.

Again, thank you so much for sharing your extended deck project.

We look forward to seeing your next creation.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects