Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Feedback on new solar system

TonyJ
Growing in Experience

Feedback on new solar system

SolarPanels.png

Hi all,

We are installing 16 extra solar panels on our roof and adding battery storage.

The battery is a 1.2KW Lithium Iron Phosphate with 10 years warranty made by Enphase.

The installed cost of the panels and battery is $8888. Does that sound reasonable? 

They have suggested that we might need an extra battery in the future - another $2500. They have recommended to monitor use for a few months and then consider adding another. 

I would appreciate any feedback on whether we are doing the right thing.

Thanks,

Tony

TonyJ
Growing in Experience

Re: Feedback on new solar system

We've gone with another supplier and are getting 16 270 watt solar panels. The price is $4700 and the warranty is 90% efficiency after 10 years and 80% after 20 years. Pay back period should be about 5 years with normal usage. This is $1000 less than the other quote we had. We have been given a figure of 71 cents per KW/hr buy back from our electricity retailer.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

This has been an interesting discussion. Thanks to all contributors. 

I have just added a new Workshop poll - Are you considering solar battery storage for your home?

It would be good to keep the discussion going as this is a valuable topic. 

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Kev
Building a Reputation

Hi TonyJ,

Wow! 71c/kW/hr.

Who's your electricity retailer? I would love to know. I'm sure there are many others that would also love to know - it would make no sense to store the electricity, best to sell it at that price. (Hell, I'd be tempted to put some fake panels on the roof and just feed the mains straight back into the grid)

The best feed in tariff (FIT) from Solarchoice is shown as 17c/kW/hr (link below)

Definitely get it in writing from the retailer before you sign. (and my suggestion would be to hold on to your STC's as they will become more valuable in the future)

https://www.solarchoice.net.au/blog/which-electricity-retailer-is-giving-the-best-solar-feed-in-tari...

Cheers,

Kev

BTW

Have you, or the retailer, missed a decimal point? the usual FIT is 6-8c/kW/hr, so a FIT of 7.1c/kW/hr is possible.

10x the usual rate is unbelievable. (and I've always lived by the rule, if it seems too good to be true, it usually is) Never missed yet.

Kev
Building a Reputation

Hi MartyH,
Didn't see your post until mine had been posted.
I bounced straight through to the post from my email.
Cheers,
Kev
TonyJ
Growing in Experience

Am I reading this wrong @Kev? Appreciate your help.

bill.jpg

Kev
Building a Reputation

Nope, it seems that your supplier is giving you 71.30c per kWh.

Never, ever seen or heard of a FIT that high - and it states that it doesn't have a fixed term, but does have variable rates - which (because I'm a pessimist) will probably drop to usual FIT rates.

Well done and congratulations - would love to know who the supplier is so myself, and others can also 'cash in' on these rates (to help pay down solar systems)

Cheers,

Kev

Kev
Building a Reputation

@Jason

No, not considering solar battery storage - can't justify the cost (yet)

Kev

TonyJ
Growing in Experience

Great, thanks @Kev. Our power company is Power Direct. We live down on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria. I'm not sure how we got such a good rate given that their website has the feed in tarif at 5c. I'm not complaining! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Two out of three Workshop community members are considering a solar battery storage system for their home according to our latest poll.

Thanks to all those who participated in the poll. Feel free to keep the discussion going by replying below. 

Jason

SolarBatteryPoll.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects