Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Feedback on new solar system

TonyJ
Growing in Experience

Feedback on new solar system

SolarPanels.png

Hi all,

We are installing 16 extra solar panels on our roof and adding battery storage.

The battery is a 1.2KW Lithium Iron Phosphate with 10 years warranty made by Enphase.

The installed cost of the panels and battery is $8888. Does that sound reasonable? 

They have suggested that we might need an extra battery in the future - another $2500. They have recommended to monitor use for a few months and then consider adding another. 

I would appreciate any feedback on whether we are doing the right thing.

Thanks,

Tony

val
Finding My Feet

Re: Feedback on new solar system

Hi Tony battery back up is the way to go can I suggest a byo system it's a  2.4 battery and it's expand able like the the battery your looking at both can be connect to off peak power so the worst case your be paying the least charges possible any way good luck cheers 🙂

@stewiesnr the device I use is made by a mob called Solar Analytics who are located here in Sydney and here is a link to their site. https://www.solaranalytics.com/au/.

It's been a boon for me as once you feed in all your relevant stats you can monitor via the web or an app on your phone or tablet.

I've been using it for a couple of years now and it has proved its worth. I just upgraded to a lifetime subscription for $250 which I thought was pretty good value.

Hope this info is helpful to you!

thanks Henno

I have looked at their pages and listened to Johann , looks good, Its the sort of info I am after, to verify when to use appliances and confirm the panels are working and from what they say if there is any concerns their system can advise.

appreciated the information

@stewiesnr@val and @Cornishman,

Many thanks for joining in the discussion. This has certainly been a popular topic and I'm sure will continue to be of interest to many Workshop members. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community. We look forward to reading more about your projects and plans. Please post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. 

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AHoy
Having an Impact

Sorry, I still disagree @val. It's fine if you are buying a battery for environmental benefits but for the average person they just aren't worth buying yet. The cost is too high and the recoup is typically a much longer duration than the warranty period, so you might never get your money back. Hopefully battery tech keeps improving and they become worth adding soon.

val
Finding My Feet

Hi  we are not in disagreement I have a 1.5 kw system which I bought at the begining of the rebate schemes and had a buy back of 68 cents I have not bought a battery for my system as you say the numbers dont add up at present . What I was saying was if you are goinng to buy a expandable battery system look at other brands than the enphase and make sure you connect to off peak to ensure any power you buy from the grid to charge your battery is at the cheepest rate . for me $ 3700 fitted for a 2.4 battery is still to expensive . cheers 

Re: Battery

We have a 10kw/h system that was installed in 2010 under the 61 cent Kw/h payback scheme - it paid for itself very quickly. We are building new highly insulated house as well and was researching battery backup as we live in the NSW Southern Tablelands and  get quite a few power outages (around 2 a month).  I quickly came to the conclusion the current cost of storage batteries was too high and payback period was around 20 years - so bought a 3600 watt generator to maintain base power at the house (fridges, lighting etc). 

I figure we are already doing our share of helping reduce climate change with solar panels, All LED lighting, evacuated tube solar hot water, highly efficient water pumps currently being installed in the new house. Also prepaing to plant lots of trees in shelter belts around the farm and intend to 'Supersize" our solar array when the house is finished

Thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your experience @PappaGabba. We're pleased you could join the Workshop community and look forward to reading about your projects and plans. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with anything or have something to share.

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@PappaGabba

It's my understanding that even a battery backup won't help you in the event of a power outage unless your system is completely off the grid. Something about protecting the grid? 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects