Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fence extension

Grangela
Getting Established

Fence extension

I am wanting to add Matrix rainforest 2400x600 fencing extension to my existing fence that is 1200 high, I am not allowed to fix it to the existing fence so am planning on using Whites 240cm posts, my questions are:- would these posts be suitable?  what screws would be best to use to attach the posts to the extensions and should I use concrete around the posts? The videos about installation assume that it is being attached to the fence. I am in W.A. so the soil is sandy.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fence extension

Welcome to the Workshop community @Grangela. It's fantastic to have you join us and I would be more than happy to assist with your question!

An effective post to use would be Australian Handyman Supplies 50 x 50mm 2.4m Galvanised Steel End Post, concreted into the ground and the panels simply fixed using Zenith 10g x 30mm Gold Passivated Countersunk Head Metal Screws 50 Pack straight into the face of the post. 

With a certain amount of work, you could certainly attach the panels to Whites 240cm Premium Black Ultrapost. Were they the ones you had considered using? Also how high is the fence you wish to have the extensions mounted above? You need to consider 30cm of the post will be in the ground and what is the finishing height you wish the panel to sit at. This will determine how you attach the panel to the post. There is also Matrix 20 x 20 x 1000mm Charcoal Fence Extension Legs which might assist in fixing the panels and keeping them rigid.

I would envisage you using Zenith 1/4 x 30mm Zinc Plated Mushroom Head Bolts And Nuts 25 pack, pre-drilling holes in the edge of each sheet (or extension legs) and bolting them to the post through the pre-existing holes in the post. 

If you would like further information about these products or had other questions please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Grangela
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell

Thank you so much for your prompt and informative reply, all my questions were answered. Thanks.

Would you please confirm for me the height of  the Matrix fence extension coolibah rivergum I/N 0192220 

in the product description it has 2410x1205 but in the click down measurements it says 2410x600 

this is the one I would like but only if it is 600 high (I think from the price it is) I don't want to order it then find it's the wrong size.

Regards Angela

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Angela (@Grangela),

I've just spoken to the Matrix screen supplier and can confirm Fence Extension Matrix 2410 x 1205mm Coolibah Rivergum is the product you are after and its size is 2410mm x 600mm. The description is incorrect and I am following that up to be changed now.

Thanks for the feedback and we look forward to seeing your new Matrix fence extensions in place.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for that, I will place an order and upload a photo when it is in place.

Regards Angela

Well, the fence extension is now finished and I am very happy with the results,

thanks to Bunnings for great advice and prompt delivery, 

and to Barry for doing all the hard work :smile:

I painted the posts with primer then 2 coats of Dulux Lush Hosta before installing.

fence.jpgfence1.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Grangela,

Well, didn't that come out fantastic, kudos to you! You must be very happy with the end result as Barry's installation job looks very professionally done indeed. Now it's time to sit back and enjoy the view.

Many thanks for updating us on your project and we look forward to hearing about your next one.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects