Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Few questions on building deck

diy_ujjaval
Growing in Experience

Few questions on building deck

Hi,  

I'm looking to build (3.5m long x 2.4m wide) deck at front entry, attached to the porch (at same level but not on top of the porch). Few questions posed here to get your advice. 

• Where to put support in 3.5m x. 2.4m deck - (Pls see picture) I was considering, screwing framing wood on brick wall & tilled area. Deck is above ground, need tips / guidance on building support structure in my circumstances. - Material / placing etc.  
  • I would like to build deck on top of existing steps (not removing existing steps but attaching decking wood on top of it so that it gets covered). Need help building 2 new steps that is outside deck, any pointers in this would be really helpful - is it something like attaching support and then decking wood on top of it?  
  • Given 2 steps above ground level - I was considering either railing or some fixed seating arrangement at 2 open sides - any supporting reference be really appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ujjaval Mehta 

IMG_5973.jpgIMG_5976.jpg

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Few questions on building deck

What an exciting project @diy_ujjaval

You might like to start by having a look at this video which steps you through the basics of how to put a plan together to build your deck. Here are some step-by-step instructions on how to build a deck.

Let me tag @Adam_W and @MitchellMc who will have some advice and suggestions for you too.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @diy_ujjaval,

Attaching ledgers boards to the porch and the wall of the house is an option. Otherwise, you'd need to concrete in a post right next to the porch and house, and there isn't enough room to place a footer there unless you space it out away from the wall. The support concreted into the ground can either be H4 posts or steel post supports.

You might like to consider using treated pine steps for their structure. You could stain them to suit your Merbau decking.

There is a range of products you can use to create balustrading around a deck. You can use the posts that the bearers connect to on your deck, continuing them up through the deck to support the handrails. The balustrading wire would then be fed through the post, and a capping handrail added to the top. Fixed seating would also be an option and would have a dual usage.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc,

Thanks for your response mate :smile: Kicked off doing framing and attaching it to the wall. I wanted to have Merbau deck / but due to other constraints I'm going with 90mm Treated pine as decking material (and most likely would have it delivered today). However, as i'd love to have merbau color on treated pine deck or grayish look. Checked few threads but couldn't find any satisfactory guidance on treated pine stain / color options. I'd like to reduce labor few years down the line with stripping & paint removal. Is there any suggested plan for freshly build treated pine deck ? 

Do you have any recommended plan / thread that would help get the best of treated pine deck ?

My current action plan is to 

1. paint back side of treated pine deck (to provide some protection) and complete building the deck.

2. allow deck to set for 4 to 6 weeks.

3. Then i'd love to have grayish or brownish colour on it. (but unsure of what steps to follow / and product to use) 

By the way really excited to build my first deck - and happy with the progress so far.

Thank you in advance :smile:

ravstk
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitch , A quick question, What screws do you recommend for 90*45 treated pine framing?

Hi @diy_ujjaval and @ravstk,

Thanks for your questions. Just wanted to let you know that @MitchellMc will be back on the site tomorrow and can help answer your questions then.

Excited to see your deck @diy_ujjaval.

Stevie

Hi @diy_ujjaval,

It's great to hear you are well underway!

You can change the colouring of your treated pine deck using a deck stain and oil combination. A great place to start would be the Cabot's colour visualizer. If you follow: Exterior > Treated Pine > Cabot's Deck & Exterior Stain Oil Based, you'll find loads of colours options. There will only be a few colours on the shelf for Cabot's Deck & Exterior Stain Oil Based, but our helpful paint team members can tint it to many different colours.

You should find these step-by-step guides useful:

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

ravstk
Growing in Experience

Thanks Michell

Always very helpful. Would it be overkill to use a joist hanger along with 14g*100mm screws?

Thanks

Ravi

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd consider that overkill @ravstk. The joist hangers are a standalone product and shouldn't require additional screws. However, if you would like a very solid deck, you could certainly go with that method.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects