Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fix water leak from Rainwater tank

bm
Cultivating a Following

Fix water leak from Rainwater tank

Hello DIYers,

Hope you all are well. 

We have a rain water tank and there is leak in the plumbing.  Please see image for the plumbing.   

You can't make out from this photo, but there is a drip leak, with a drop leaking every second or so.   I tried uploading a video but unable to. So please allow me to describe as best as i could. 

If you look at the second image closely, you can make out a drop - Although it appears as if the drop is from the middle of the black part(sorry don't know what's it called ), the waterdrop comes out from the open mouth, travels back underside and then drops down from the middle :smile: 

I have tightened the tap(the round -orange thingy- again don't know the name)  as much as i could but no joy. 

Is there anything that i can do  ? Any suggestions please. 

Thanks in advance and please stay safe all of you 

rainwater.jpg

IMG_9709.PNG

Thanks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Fix water leak from Rainwater tank

Hi @bm,

Have you considered a pump? We have one for our water tank so we can use the water across the garden. Without the pump we could only really use a soaker hose. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bm
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @Jason  for the advise.   I assume these are the ones https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/bathroom-plumbing/plumbing/pumps/constant-pressure-pumps

What pump  have you got? 

thanks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes, that's the right category @bm.

Something like the Ozito 800W Constant Pressure Pump would be a lot more powerful than the pump that came with our water tank and would be more than capable of the job. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SalBay
Building a Reputation

@bm 

Regarding low water pressure, and initial cause of leaking gate valve:

Have you checked for debris inside the tank, ? gate valves don't do well with debris, it gets jammed under the gate. and there maybe leaves/ sticks/ silt/ frog blocking the pump outlet.
If you connect a hose up to your tank (using the arrangement you have just made), then you should be able to force any blockage back into the tank. If this improves the flow then you will need to clean the inside of your tank at some stage.

Using some 19mm poly pipe will double the flow compared to a standard hose.

r23on
Amassing an Audience

It looks like the water is bypassing the packing ring around the stem. Most gate valves have a packing ring around the stem to stop the fluid leaking up the stem and as the nut just below the handle is tightened the packing is compressed to create a type of O ring effect you may be able to replace the packing ring. failing that replace the valve

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects