Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fixing a Rod between Concrete Pillars for Swings

hasansheikh
Finding My Feet

Fixing a Rod between Concrete Pillars for Swings

Hi, I'm thinking attaching a rod between these 2 pillars so I can hang different sort of swings for kids. or can also use as pull bar ;).

Distance between pillars is around 1.7 meters. Any suggestions on feasibility of it? also what stuff should I need. It should be able to lift around 200kgs.

727185AB-0F5D-4485-AED3-DECBF8658D44.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fixing a Rod between Concrete Pillars for Swings

Welcome to the Workshop community @hasansheikh. Sounds like a great project, I'd be happy to assist with it.

1.7m is a significant span for any rod to support 200kgs. I'm sure it would seldom see a full 200kg and not directly in the middle which will cause the most stress and flex. If you could get a rod thick enough to support that weight, we would need to address how to mount it. You could drill two holes either side into the brickwork, but then one would need to be deep enough to slide the rod into then back out again into the other hole. We would then need to use a Ramset Chemset 101 Injection Kit to secure it in place.

A way around this may be to have support in the middle if you can find a ceiling joist located conveniently. If there are joists available, perhaps you could consider creating a fixing point for the swings from there instead of a bar.

If you did want to go with the bar idea there is a range of threaded galvanised pipe which could work if supported in the middle.

hanging.JPG

I look forward to seeing what our helpful and creative community members ideas are for your project.

If you would like further assistance or had other questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

What would be your thoughts on this one @Brad?

Welcome to the community @hasansheikh. We are looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans.

Jason

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I would tend to agree with @MitchellMc with the chemset although I am from the old school way of pipe flanges and dyna bolts which looking around home with the rails put in by DVA Homecare there are better ways now of doing things.

I have a hose reel dyna bolted to the wall that my mother in her late 80's could rip out the wall, not a bad effort for someone 55kg to exert 2800KG force. My partner at around half that age and a similar weight may test out some chemset added to the holes.

Thanks Mitchell for the advice which totally makes sense. Support in the middle would make things a bit more complicated for me to handle and it absolutely required as when my kids' cousins come in they don't respect weight limit on anything :smile: so what I'm thinking now is to go simple as just use the full swing set |T|  and just anchor it to the pillar and on the ground. Thanks for the guidance! :smile:

HI @hasansheikh.

I am happy to help and glad you've found a solution. Anytime you need assistance or have something to share with the community, please let us know.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects