Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Gap between pool and concrete

WK71
Getting Established

Gap between pool and concrete

Hi I am just looking at ideas for sealing the gap between pool and concrete, there was previously gap sealer applied but was just looking at maybe a better and products to use 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Gap between pool and concrete

Hi @WK71,

If you could upload an image of the gap, it would assist our members in offering some brilliant solutions.

As long as you use a suitable gap sealer for this application, you should expect satisfactory results for many years to come. Of all the gap sealers available, the Sika pool silicone sealant would be the best choice as it has high chlorine resistance and excellent UV and weather resistance. Priming the surfaces to be bonded with Sika 250ml Primer-3N Adhesion Primer will ensure a long-lasting result. Alternatively, the only other method I can think of would be to use mortar, but it will eventually crack with the movement.

I look forward to seeing some images of the affected areas.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
WK71
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell

Please see attached pics, hope they are ok

20210421_160635.jpg

20210421_160617.jpg

20210421_160603.jpg

20210421_160609.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @WK71,

Thanks for sharing those images.

Just a quick note to let you know that @MitchellMc will be back on the site on Friday to help. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Stevie

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @WK71,

I'd suggest you start by removing as much of the deteriorated sealant as possible with a scraper. You'll also need to remove all the leaf debris from the gap. Using Sika 600ml Black Sikaflex Pro+ Polyurethane Sealant and a Sika Professional Sausage Caulking Gun would be the most economical choice as it appears you'll need a substantial amount of sealant to fill that gap. Once the gap is filled, you can smooth the sealant out for an appealing transition.

The Sikaflex Pro+ does not have quite as good chemical resistant qualities as the Sika pool sealant, though it is likely what they used initially and should last many years. Given the fairly rough nature of the gap, I feel the Sikaflex Pro+ will do a better job at filling the area. The reason the initial sealant has failed is that the gap has enlarged significantly over the years. Sikaflex Pro+ is an elastic sealant, but sometimes the need to re-caulk the joint is unavoidable with this amount of movement.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

WK71
Getting Established

Hi MitchellMc

Would it be beneficial to maybe pack the gap before applying the gap sealant

Cheers

William Kappu

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi William (@WK71),

Once you remove the debris, if the depth of the gap is more than 20mm I would suggest packing it out the bottom with Moroday 10mm x 5m White Gap Filler Rod. Don't bring the filler rod too close to the surface as you'd want the top 10mm of depth to be filled with the sealant. This will allow a sufficient surface to bond onto. 

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects