Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Grid Connect sensor for multiple lights

n860cr
Growing in Experience

Grid Connect sensor for multiple lights

I'm looking to get the Deta Grid Connect Smart Compact PIR Sensor (https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-grid-connect-smart-compact-pir-sensor_p0129567to replace a standard sensor on my front verandah light. Pretty obviously, the sensor will still work to turn on/off my existing wall light (with the benefit of remote access), but does this Grid Connect sensor have the option to also trigger multiple devices? Ideally, I'd like it to also turn on the garden lights as well (they're connected to a Grid Connect plug in socket).

I'm hoping there will just be an option to set a "scene" where I can say "if motion detected on front verandah, turn on wall light + garden lights"?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Grid Connect sensor for multiple lights

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @n860cr. It's terrific that you've joined us and many thanks for your question on our Grid Connect products.

Your 240v light/s (with a maximum of 1200w) needs to be directly hard-wired into the Deta Grid Connect Smart Compact PIR Sensor by an electrician. Unfortunately, the sensor does not have the ability to activate Grid Connect plug-in sockets remotely. 

This ability certainly seems like it would be convenient to have, so I've passed that feedback on to the supplier.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
n860cr
Growing in Experience

Thanks. So I guess then if I go with the smart sensor (https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-grid-connect-smart-motion-sensor_p0148572) and hub, plus a Grid Connect globe in the verandah light, I'd be able to set a scene to turn multiple devices on?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @n860cr,

I need to apologise. I've now been given additional information that would suggest that the Deta Grid Connect Smart Compact PIR Sensor is indeed suitable for the situation you initially described. I have been assured that it can operate a hard-wired light and can be used to set a scene where it will remotely operate Grid Connect sockets at the same time.

I hope this helps.

Mitchell

n860cr
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell. I'll give it a try and report back. 

n860cr
Growing in Experience

Very easy in the end. Sensor is a straight replacement for existing hardwired movement sensors and, once installed, works easily through the Grid Connect app. Just go into "automation" and setup "when sensor switches to on, turn on power outlet xx" and the same for turning it off. Now my garden lights turn on when somebody triggers the verandah light. Only slight irritant is the automation will turn the garden lights off if I've got them manually on and somebody triggers the sensor (but that can be solved by just toggling the automation off). 

Grid Connect range is getting very good. Just wish they'd improve the security camera playback options!

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Can you post up your chain of automation so we can see why your garden lights might be turning off when  in manual mode at all? Just a screen shot of the automation sequence.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @CSParnell

Let me tag @n860cr to make them aware of your question. 

Eric

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@n860cr ? 

The more we can share the automations between the community the better the knowledge. Any chance you can screen shot it and share?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects