Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help needed with drainage in my backyard

Stevo3
Finding My Feet

Help needed with drainage in my backyard

Hi All,
I have some issues with drainage in my back yard.
When it rains, water runs down from the grassed area, into the small garden area (where the bench is) and overflows into the pergola/paved area. There is a drain, but it sits in a high spot, as the concrete wasn't sloped towards it, so it is useless.

My soil has a very high clay content (It is almost like concrete), and so water just runs off it, and I am also at the bottom of a hill.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Normal viewNormal view

Normal view

After 1 night heavy  rainAfter 1 night heavy rain

This is after 1 night of heavy rain

After weeks of rain earlier this yearAfter weeks of rain earlier this year

This is after weeks of rain earlier this year.

Another view showing drainAnother view showing drain

Another angle, showing the drain which is useless.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Help needed with drainage in my backyard

Hi @Stevo3,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome you have decided to join and ask about your drainage issue. You'll find Workshop to be a great source of inspiration and advice on all things DIY and garden. 

Our resident DIY guru @MitchellMc will on back online tomorrow to assist with your question, but let me tag members @TedBear and @Adam_W to grab their thoughts. In the meantime, check out this How to install garden drainage article by Adam and How do I solve backyard drainage problem discussion. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Stevo3,

You'll need to install some drainage in that area to collect the standing water and send it elsewhere. You could either locate that drainage in the small garden area or behind the retaining wall on the grassed area. Do any stormwater pipes run through the area? Obviously, you have the one in the middle of the paved area, any idea where that pipe runs?

If you look at this article on How to build a retaining wall, you'll see how @Adam_W runs drainage behind the retaining wall to capture this water. You'll find these two articles on How to fix a muddy lawn and How to install garden drainage useful. At this stage, I'd suggest the easiest solution would be to dig a 100mm wide trench behind the retaining wall to the depth of the lower-height garden. You can then line the back of the retaining wall with builder's plastic, drop in some Agi-pipe and backfill with drainage gravel. The Agi-pipe will need to be directed to your nearest stormwater pipe. It probably wouldn't hurt to run EasyDRAIN channel next to the patio edge and in the small garden.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thanks for you advice! I will look into doing one of those options.
The closest drain is the one in the middle of the paved area.

One Idea I have is to cut into the paved area and place a EasyDRAIN channel to the current drain FROM the garden area?
This would channel the water from the garden area into the drain? (I would put a ag pipe into the garden as well).

Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That would work @Stevo3, and it's much the same as what I've suggested. I was hoping the pipe for that drain went out toward the garden, so you could connect to it there instead of having to cut into the paving.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects