Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice.....
I spent 3 days creating a feature wall for my outside garden deck on cerment sheeting boards. I wasn't thinking when I was looking in the shed at my leftover paint and I used 2 different interior paints 🤦♀️
It was only towards the end of the process that I thought to myself... oh no! how is this gonna hold up outside in the rain and sun 😭
I have spent so many hours on this project and would be heartbreaking to start all over again as its a very detailed pattern.
Does anyone have any experience or advice with using a clear top coat exterior sealer or paint to protect this wall from cracking, peeling ect from outdoor weather in the future???
Or the alternative is to paint over the interior paint (not sure if you can do this) with an exterior paint 😮💨
Which would be so time consuming as i would
have to retape the pattern all over again!!
Any advice would be so much appreciated
I'm so sorry to hear that you've not used the correct paint; I'm sure that was devastating to realise after you've gone to so much effort. Could we please start by you telling us exactly what type of indoor paint you've used, as this information will be vital to finding a compatible topcoat? A picture of the front of the can would be best. From there, I can work out whether there is a clear exterior coat that could prolong the life of this indoor paint.
Don't lose all hope yet, as I'm fairly certain we should be able to find something to protect this stunning project you've created.
Thank you Mitchell for your response!
I will post a picture of the paint tin. I believe its acyrlic paint
Sorry about the wait, @naz1, as I'm sure you're eager to find out the fate of your artwork. I have good news. I have found a product that, by all accounts, sounds like it will provide a great deal of protection to your paint. I can't know for sure that it will last as long as the correct exterior paint, but I'm confident that it will sufficiently protect your artwork from the elements. The product is Boyle 400g Clear Matt Spray Sealer. I've spent an extensive amount of time calling many different suppliers and speaking with different technical teams to arrive at this being the only product that will work. I've even spent the last half an hour on the phone with the manufacturer's chemist to ensure this will work for you. He's adamant that it will work and that the product has exceptional UV and weather resistance.
You need to allow the paint an adequate amount of time to dry out before coating it with the clear sealer. I'd suggest waiting another week to allow the deeper layers of the paint to dry thoroughly. It's obviously touch-dry on the surface, but we want to ensure the underlying layers are bone dry too. Next week, you'll need to apply four light mist coats of the sealer. By mist coats, I mean you'll barely notice the first coat. Do not go heavy-handed and lay on thick coats. The thicker the coats, the more likely any residual moisture in your paint will react and cause bubbling. Wait at least 60 seconds in between coats for it to flash off. Or, even better, go and have a coffee in between coats. I use the coffee method as it stops me from loitering around and adding more paint than I should.
I presume you've already got your spot picked out for this artwork. If that isn't locked in, it would be best to choose an aspect that doesn't receive direct sun all day. This is just an extra safety measure.
I'm really pleased that we've found a solution as I think I would have been just as devastated as you if nothing was suitable. Please keep us updated and let me know if you have any questions.
Oh wow thank you so much Mitchell for taking the time to find out this information! I really appreciate your help 😊
The only thing is the cerment sheeting boards are 2.4m by 750 and I have 4 sheets so a total of 3m by 2.4m. How many spray cans would I need?
Is it not suitable to use a water base exterior sealer to paint over the top??
And I also haven't painted or sealed the back of the cerment sheeting. Would it be advisable to seal it with a concrete sealer?
Thanks again! You have been absolutely amazing!!!
I think four cans should get you there, @naz1. Remember, light coats and one can per sheet.
Believe me, I tried on the water-based exterior sealer/varnish front and exhausted every available option. That was my first thought, but I couldn't find any product that could possibly work, even off the record, at your own risk. If I thought they could work, I'd let you know, but I received an emphatic NO and don't even try. If there was no other option, I say give it a shot, but the Boyle chemist was very confident their product would work.
Do you have any exterior paint? That could be used to seal the back of the sheets. Even a budget-friendly one would do the job. Alternatively, a concrete sealer would work.
Your artwork is amazing! Thanks for bearing with me, and I can't wait to see them in position.
Thank you again Mitchell for taking so much time to look into this for me! I really can't thank you enough! I will buy the spray cans and give it ago 😊
Also one last concern...
Will the spay you have suggested protect this wall from UV and fading as there is no shelter above the boards. So will be getting wet and expose to lots of sun.
I don't have exterior paint at home but will buy some!
Thank you 🙏
It will do an excellent job of it. The product is UV and weather-resistant and will offer similar protection to your paint. It's the UV that causes the fading.