Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help wanted with first decking project

TonyMax
Getting Established

Help wanted with first decking project

I'm hoping to embark on a decking project, but there are some challenges. I've attached some photos of the site, a diagram of posts, bearers and joists I found elsewhere and a rough drawing of the planned deck. At its front edge away from the building it will be almost at ground level. I found some good information on here but my issues are as follows:

The ground under the deck does not slope away, would it be ok to build a deck on this ground as long as the concrete footings are proud of ground level and don't allow water to gather?

I'd prefer to run bearers along the long axis and joists coming out perpendicular to the building, allowing me to run the decking lengthways across the front of the building, would this be an issue?

There are pipes running down the side of the building which would interfere with a one piece ledger board, how do I remedy this?

With regard to stairs to climb from the lower ground level to deck level, how are these created, mounted and attached to the deck/secured to the ground?

I can put in concrete footings and mount stirrups no worries, but do bearers have to be attached on top of posts or can they be bolted to the side of posts? If only to be mounted on top how do I make sure all my posts finish level?

I'm sure I have more questions but these are just the ones that immediately supporting to mind 

20220803_105008.jpg

20220803_105023.jpg

Screenshot_20220803-133445_Gallery.jpg

b87380b7-2769-4266-8675-ffe102c6b181.default.png

    

TonyMax
Getting Established

Re: Help wanted with first decking project

Thanks for that Eric. I've now got stirrups to bolt to the concrete footings and will buy some bolts and gal nails.

My next question is regarding attaching posts for a roof and handrails in the corners and along the edges.

I'll attach a couple of photos, but in the corners (red dots) the posts will be supporting a laserlite roof covering, and the blue dots will just be handrail height posts.

Should I try to mount them inside the edges of the deck surface or just bolt them to the outside?

Screenshot_20220803-133445_Gallery.jpg

images (5).jpeg

images (6).jpeg

images (7).jpeg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's up to you where you position the posts @TonyMax. Personally, I think handrail posts look neater on the inside of the frame, with the decking surrounding them. However, this is slightly more difficult to achieve.

You might like to make the roof a standalone structure. By this, I mean the posts for it go into the ground and do not connect solely to the deck. If it's a standalone structure, its posts support the roof and transfer the weight directly to the ground. If you only bolt the roof's posts to the deck structure, then the deck supports the roof's weight. If the deck supports the roof, you need to consider that additional weight when constructing the deck. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell for the advice.

Now I'm getting into a more detailed plan as I have to start building soon.  The plan now is:

Five posts supporting the roof direct into stirrups bolted into concrete footings, with a sixth roof support point attached to the peak of the building (solid red support on the deck roof plan below). Rafters, beams and battens (not shown) attached to posts and roof sheeting, fascias and guttering also attached.

Picture frame two boards width (straddling the posts) around the outside then fill with decking running lengthways inside this.

Stairs using treated pine stringers and treads running off the east and north sides of the deck.

Treated pine handrail with preferably a few runs of stainless wire horizontally filling the gap between handrail and deck.

Questions as a result of my more detailed plan:

Can I have handrail support posts just attached to the deck?  If so do I attach them to bearers or joists?

If I run the stainless wire can I drill holes through handrail posts to run the wire and just attach it at the ends?

What are some ways (preferably the easy way) to determine accurately corner/edge locations when the ground under the deck is not level (pictures attached earlier in this thread)?

What else do I need to consider that I haven't asked a dumb question about already?  

Deck Floor Plan.jpgDeck Roof Plan.jpgDeck Elevation East.jpgDeck Elevation North.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @TonyMax

Based on your plans and the direction of your decking panels, I recommend attaching the handrail post to the joist. When installing stainless steel wires, I suggest using a Pinnacle 3 - 3.2mm 316 Stainless Steel Swageless Balustrading Kit or similar to anchor the wires to the posts. I've placed some guides below to help you with your post installation, although they are not related to decking the methods used for post alignment and levelling are applicable to your project. 

Here are some handy step-by-step guides: 

Let me call on my colleague @MitchellMc in case he has more suggestions to add.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @TonyMax,

You'll need to run the handrail posts down and bolt them to the deck's frame. You can run a stainless wire through the handrail posts to create one long run. However, it's hard to achieve great tension with only one turnbuckle on long lengths. You'll need to adhere to any regulations in your area if this is considered a fall barrier.

Check out this helpful guide on How to choose and use a level. By using a tape you can measure equal distances out from your house wall. Once you've established a straight-and-level line, you can work out your other measurements off it.

Another thing to consider is whether you'll need plans created by a structural engineer submitted to the council for approval.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects