Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hiding a pool cover roller

Joker
Having an Impact

Hiding a pool cover roller

Just wondering if anyone has seen any nifty solutions for hiding a pool cover and roller. I'm thinking maybe we could have something like a timber box near the end of the pool with a hinged lid so it could double as a seat? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hiding a pool cover roller

Hello @RUNNAMUKK1

Thank you for sharing your updated photos of your pool cover roller. Not only will it hide the cover roller, but it also doubles as an impromptu chair and lounger when you are at the pool. That assembly looks very strong and will definitely last you a long time, just make sure to re-coat the Merbau panels once a year to keep it looking nice and fresh.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @beamo

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

If you are putting roller wheels on your assembly make sure to look at the weight rating of the wheel. I suggest a minimum of six wheels for the bottom of your pool cover roller cabinet and be sure to get ones that lock in place. If you build it in the timber size recommended by my colleague, it should be strong enough to sit on. It will be okay to leave this outside as the materials you'll be using are all rated for outside use.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hi mate, amazing job. I'm looking to build one myself too. If you had build plans, would you mind sharing?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Peter (@anyhowcanone). It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about this excellent project.

Let me mention @RUNNAMUKK1, so they are alerted to your kind comment and question about build plans. It looks like they might have built this storage unit following the inspiration image and my rendering on the first page of this discussion. If they did create plans, they would undoubtedly be helpful.

We look forward to hearing about your plans and projects around the house and garden. Please shout out anytime you need assistance or have something to share.

Mitchell

A couple of questions

1. How deep is it (ie. How much space do I need around the roller?)

2. When the cover is on the pool, do the straps holding it to the roller just hang between the lid and the box?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Brock, 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

I suggest having a gap of at least 50mm from the edge of the roller.

I've placed a sketch below to give you an idea of how much space you'll need for the roller.

You can actually have it bigger if you wish, but nothing smaller than 50mm as it will become difficult to roll the cover.

As for the ends, the same distance of 50mm can be applied, but if you wish to have more room for a hand cranking device, it will be necessary to measure the space it occupies and then add 50mm in front of it.

Let's do some quick math. If the diameter of the pool roller is 300mm and you need 50mm on either side, you would then need an interior space of 400mm from front to back. If the height of the pool roller with the feet is 380mm and you need a gap of 50mm at the top, the interior gap height necessary would be 430mm. This formula would apply to the width of the pool roller as well.

It's important to remember that this is the interior space of the box, and it is critical to add the thickness of the timber frame you'll be using in order to get the outer measurement.

In regard to the straps, they will just hang between the lid and the box. You can modify the front of the box if you wish to have it open forward so that you don't have to add additional strapping to the pool cover. This is your chance to be as creative as possible when it comes to the operation of your roller cover.

Please remember to wear safety equipment such as gloves, goggles and a dust mask when cutting and building your box frame.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Hi MitchellMC

we are looking to do this but would like it in white easy care. What would you suggest to clad it with?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DIYbunny. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about cladding a pool cover box.

I'd suggest that covering the unit with fibre cement cladding would be a good choice. It's able to withstand the elements, is durable and paintable and will give you a smooth finish. There are quite a few varieties now available, and I think you could achieve a neat effect with a combination of flat sheets and Duragroove.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hey man looks great just wanted to know have you got any more pics of it like the inside been looking to make one from a long time 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @josh04. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

Let me tag @RUNNAMUKK1 so they are alerted to your question. Hopefully, they'll be able to provide more images for you.

Please let us know if you have any questions that our helpful members can assist with.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Feel free to reach out anytime you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects