Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I fix the balustrade on my back deck?

curo123
Growing in Experience

How can I fix the balustrade on my back deck?

IMG_9821.JPGIMG_9824.JPGIMG_9825.jpgIMG_9826.jpgIMG_9827.jpgIMG_9829.JPGIMG_9830.JPG

Hi there,

The posts are starting to fall out of the balustrade and the horizontal piece on the bottom has detached itself from the posts.

Can I use liquid nails to reattach this and then use a nail gun for that piece and the posts? Is it best to apply wood putty over the nails?

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I fix the balustrade on my back deck?

It sounds like you're on the right track @curo123. Glue and nails can be used to fix the posts and bottom rails back into position. You might like to use screws for the bottom rail as they have more holding power than nails. Drive the nails or screws below the timber's surface and then fill the hole with exterior timber putty.

If any of the timber shows signs of advanced decay, then you might like to consider replacing it.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
curo123
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell. Can you please recommend which screws to use?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @curo123,

Zenith 8 - 10 x 60mm Galvanised Countersunk Rib Head External Timber Screws should be suitable for attaching the bottom rail to the posts.

You can use smaller Zenith 8 - 10 x 30mm Galvanised Countersunk Rib Head Timber Screws to re-attach the balusters to the bottom rail.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects