Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I make an elegant feature of the bland gables on the front of my house?

Annabelle6
Just Starting Out

How can I make an elegant feature of the bland gables on the front of my house?

20211218_153452 (2).jpg

Hello all, 

My house has two very high gables facing the street, and one to the side of the house over a cathedral ceiling. One of the gables is over the double garage and the other is at the front bedroom. Centered near the top of each gable is an imitation louvered vent painted in the wall color, and at the top of the gable is a finial with a small drop below the gable peak.

I'm ready to paint the exterior of the house which doesn't have any defined style, and I'd like to add gable features or some kind of non-fussy pediment. I think the street appeal is rather bland at the moment.

A covered walkway to the front entrance is situated between the two gables, sporting a dreadful lattice front, overdue for removal. I have a creepy feeling that the gables had lattice too, once upon a time.

Any suggestions for an update before the painters begin?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I make an elegant feature of the bland gables on the front of my house?

Hello @Annabelle6

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about how to make an elegant feature of your gables.

It's all a matter of colour contrast. Let's say for example, that I painted the gable a subdued red and coloured the imitation lovered vent in vivid white with the gaps painted in the same red. The roof trims in vivid white and the finial in a bright red. The human eye is often drawn to contrasts in colour and when they see that vent the first question in their mind is, is it real?

Are you painting your outside brick walls as well or are they staying in the same colour? Using colours such as white and grey often denotes neutrality. But when a third colour is added all of a sudden it changes personality. That third colour now stands out and becomes like a feature wall. This contrast again draws the eye to the way it's been arranged. 

Here's a link to a handy guide: How to choose a paint colour for your outdoors

Let me tag our experienced members @prettyliving @craftyhopper and @lifestylebymari for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your painting project.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How can I make an elegant feature of the bland gables on the front of my house?

Thank you very much EricL for your prompt reply.

No doubt as you know it's a lengthy decision to choose paint colours. I've been to Bunnings and collected sample pots. I decided my colours with the help of a colour consultant and sample pots from your store, all Dulux colours (see below). I'll leave the brick as is, for now.

Also shown below are two examples of how a little pediment trim at the edge of the fascia can throw interesting shadows onto the gable peak behind.

My dilemma is how to choose a non fussy style? Who makes it? Should it be wood or PVC for low maintenance? I think the gable pitch is 12/12 inch, although my ladder is not tall enough to check. I know many of the trims available are from the US and look very Victorian with multiple scrolls.

I'm looking for something more simplistic, farmhouse/uncomplicated style, maybe using a feature developed for another purpose. Railings, balustrade, curved arc, brackets, corbels? It's too much bother to remove the vent, so I'm looking for something that won't obstruct it, but rather enhance it.

Gutters and downpipes will be Toffee Fingers.

Fascia, finial and gable vents will be Oyster Linen.

Siding trim and gables will be Antique White USA.

All pergolas will be Vivid White.

Any ideas will be most welcome!

example ideaexample idea

example ideaexample idea

antique white usa for siding, gableantique white usa for siding, gable  oyster linen for facia, finial, ventoyster linen for facia, finial, vent

toffee fingers for gutters, downpipestoffee fingers for gutters, downpipes  vivid white for pergolasvivid white for pergolas

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Annabelle6

Thanks for that colour update. Adding timber moulding to the vent was going to be my next suggestion. They come in many shapes and sizes with different designs. Unfortunately, most of them are for interior use, if you do decide to use them outside they will need to be heavily sealed and painted to withstand the weather.

I recommend visiting your local store and having a look at the available timber moulding and trims. There is a difference between seeing it in a brochure and seeing it in person. You might find that farmhouse style that you're after.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects