Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fix this gate?

DIYDave
Growing in Experience

How do I fix this gate?

Hi, I have a timber fence made on an adjustable gate frame and the gate frame is rusting away. I'm unable to take screws out due to the Intergrain products on the screws, so I can't just replace frame. Its not a standard width. Any suggestions. Need something sturdy as we have dogs. 

Thanks,

20200810_085206.jpg

20200810_085143.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I fix this gate?

Hi @DIYDave,

Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to start the conversation.

What would be the result if you took the correct screwdriver to match the head of the screws, placed it on the screw head in the correct orientation to match the pattern and tapped it with a hammer? I believe there might be a chance to compress the Intergrain product enough to re-establish some depth in the screw head allowing you to undo them. Alternatively painting the screw heads with a paint/lacquer stripper might dissolve the Intergrain product which is filling them.

Let me mention a few helpful members @Brad, @r23on and @woodenwookie that might be able to add to the discussion on removing screws that are filled with varnish.

Failing being able to remove the screws, you might be looking at constructing a new gate panel as it is a custom size.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi DIYDave

I use one of two methods in this situation, I drill the head off and you should be able to lift the plank off. If you use a the drill use a Sutton HSS Cobalt drill bit as the a standard HSS drill bit will not last or use a screw extractor have a look at the link on how to use the extractor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHs9VGEuhxI 

Hope this helps

DIYDave
Growing in Experience

Thanks. Just watched the video link about extractor screws sent by r23on and I might head down to get some of those and see if that works. 

Oh yeah, those get a LOT of use in my shop. 😂

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects