Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I hang lightweight decorative metal artwork to a fibro external wall?

Echidna
Finding My Feet

How do I hang lightweight decorative metal artwork to a fibro external wall?

I have purchased a metal gecko that I would like to hang on the outside of my 1950s fibro house. I'll assume the gecko contains iron because it is rusty. 

I would like to place spacers behind it to protect the paintwork from rust stains as it will occasionally get rained on. 

Photo of gecko and wall follow. 

20220408_170911.jpg

20220408_170916.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I hang lightweight decorative metal artwork to a fibro external wall?

Hello @Echidna

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about how to hang your metal artwork.

I suggest using Surface Gard 19 x 19mm Clear Square Rubber Bumpers - 6 Pack on each raised surface of the foot, one on the tail and one on the head. I recommend using Selleys 95g Liquid Nails Fast Grab Construction Adhesive to stick the rubber bumpers to the rusty surface of the metal artwork. I suggest using Zenith 8G x 40mm Stainless Steel Type 17 Decking Screws to hang the artwork in place. Please make sure to drill a pilot hole into the fibro panel.

Please keep us updated with your progress,  we look forward to seeing your decorative metal artwork on display.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How do I hang lightweight decorative metal artwork to a fibro external wall?

20220630_134137.jpg

 and here he is, on the wall. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Love your work, @Echidna! It looks like he almost crawled up there himself!

Did you encounter any difficulties whilst installing the artwork, or was it all smooth sailing?

Many thanks for sharing your results.

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Echidna 

Thank you very much for sharing that project update. I'm glad my suggestions helped. On initially seeing the photo my first thoughts were how realistic it looked. 

If you have any other projects we can assist you with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects