Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I put a lock on these gates?

Welovetye
Just Starting Out

How do I put a lock on these gates?

I've just moved into a property that has two gates that run along the side of the apartment building right next to the entrance. It doesn't feel very secure, so I'd like to put on some kind of lock that could be opened from both the inside (preferably quite easily) and also from the outside. I don't want to have to spend a huge amount of money, but I do need to do something fairly quickly. Does anyone have any suggestions? 

20240223_172215.jpg

20240223_172242.jpg

  

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I put a lock on these gates?

Hi @Welovetye,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. We're pleased to have you join the community.

Do you need to be able to unlock the gate from the outside? If you don't, a simple padlock on the inside would do the job. Let us know. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Yeah I do for the back one unfortunately. So it has to be secure but straight forward getting in & out. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Welovetye 

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about how to put a lock on your gate.

If you are after the need for secure access but require the convenience of keyless entry, I suggest using the Ikonic Satin Chrome Digital Entry Lock. It's weather resistant and is suitable for door thickness 35mm to 65mm.

A bit of timber packing may be necessary to install the lock onto the Colorbond fence, but once that has been sorted out it will allow you to go in and out of your property without the need for a key.

Let me call on our experienced members @JacobZ95, @TedBear and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Welovetye 

I think the lock linked to below should suit your purposes.

There is even a video showing you how to install it...

D&D Technologies LokkLatch Magnetic Gate Lock

https://www.bunnings.com.au/d-d-technologies-lokklatch-magnetic-gate-lock_p4150118

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects