Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I replace a leaky Mailbox that has been bricked in?

Jsblack
Finding My Feet

How do I replace a leaky Mailbox that has been bricked in?

Hi all!

I'd love some tips on how to replace this mailbox. It is leaky and will soak our mail at every opportunity. Also the back side has no door which means we need to go outside of our gate to open the box. Not the biggest of problems but this can be an annoyance now that everyone works from home. 

I'd like to replace the box with minimal damage to the bricks. I've done some cementing in the past and own an angle grinder with which I am reasonably competent (although don't look too closely at my patio cuts 😂)

Any ideas of how to get this out would be appreciated!

Thanks again!

Jesse

PS

Another idea is to simply seal the inside with waterproof caulking and try and cut a hole and mount a door to the back...but this seems harder and less permanent than just replacing the whole thing. 

Inside. Not sure what those tension rods are doing? Also there are lugs in the back. I don't know what those are for either...Inside. Not sure what those tension rods are doing? Also there are lugs in the back. I don't know what those are for either...As you can see the water damage is starting to show.As you can see the water damage is starting to show.Here is the back.Here is the back.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I replace a leaky Mailbox that has been bricked in?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jsblack. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a bricked-in letterbox.

You might find those connections rods are holding the letterbox's front face on. If you can disconnect them and access the mortar behind the face plate, that will aid in the removal process.

There are likely several ways to go about the removal. I'd recommend slicing the surrounding mortar on both sides of the wall with your angle grinder to the depth of the blade. You could then pick up a 6.5 x 500mm masonry drill bit and connect those cuts. A cold chisel might also come in handy.

Before you start the removal process, it would be a good idea to take some measurements of the current mailbox and make sure you can find a replacement in the same size. If not, you'd need to do extensive work to fit the new mailbox, which might make your repair options more feasible.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

That's great, thanks Mitchell! I'll give it a go. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @Jsblack and please reach out again if you get stuck.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects