Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you close a gap in our balcony to stop our Puppy falling through?

Martin2020
Getting Established

How do you close a gap in our balcony to stop our Puppy falling through?

How do you close a gap in our balcony to stop our Puppy from falling through? the gap is about 5 inches. We are in a 12-floor building and have gaps between the floor and the Glass railings.

Balcony.jpg

Re: How do you close a gap in our balcony to stop our Puppy falling through?

This looks great. Can I ask what product/material  it was you used to block the gaps at the bottom? I need to so the same for my puppy 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @vlp

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Let me tag @Martin2020 to make them aware of your kind words and question. Looking at the second to the last post, I believe they used the 140 x 19mm L/M Decking Merbau SpecRite Pre-Oiled KD Select. Then used cable ties to secure it to the bottom of the balcony railing.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
vlp
Finding My Feet

Thank you Eric

This is the balcony and I am looking for better ideas on how to block the gap under the railing for puppy’s safety. The garden trellis is ok but impacting the beautiful view and I fear he may climb it or try to get underneath it (though he is never out here unsupervised). Would love @Martin2020  to advise ho he secured the deck panels with cable ties

thank you

A28F0917-F259-4DC8-B968-38F765DEA406.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @vlp

Thank you so much for posting photos of your balcony. Your metal railing is so similar to @Martin2020's that you would think it came from the same builder. I suggest placing the Merbau panel in the same manner at the bottom of the railing. The cable ties go through the gap between the glass and steel post and past the steel horizontal bar. It then goes back down at the bottom of the Merbau panel and then locks at the top. 

You can use multiple cable ties for a more secure fit, they also placed a flower pot stand in front of the panel as an extra measure to hold the panel in place. However, if you want to fix it in a more permanent fashion you can use Zenith 10G x 30mm Galvanised Wafer Head Metal Screws. Please make sure to drill pilot holes in the Merbau panel for easier mounting to the steel.

Eric

Hi Martin, 

Can you please give more details about how you did that? I have small bunnies and a similar balcony so would like to do the same to prevent them from falling. 

Thanks, 

Nadia

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Nadiadima

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Let me tag @Martin2020 to make sure they are aware of your question. The 140 x 19mm Merbau SpecRite Pre-Oiled KD Select Decking is being held in place by cable ties which were looped around the bottom railing of the balcony fence. A more secure method would have been to drill through the Merbau panel and then cable tied into place. This will prevent the panel from moving. 

I've placed an image below to give you an idea of where to secure the panel. This will prevent the panel from tipping and rising should the bunnies venture near it. Please have a look at the diagram and tell me what you think.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects