Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you remove varnish from a table?

davisfamily12
Just Starting Out

How do you remove varnish from a table?

Wanting to know what to use to remove varnish from an outdoor table

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do you remove varnish from a table

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @davisfamily12. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing varnish.

You can either chemically remove it with paint & varnish stripper or abraid it off with sandpaper and a scraper. Depending on the thickness and how degraded the varnish is, you might need to employ a couple of methods. If you're going to sand the varnish off, I'd highly suggest you invest in a random orbital sander which will be much easier than doing it by hand. If you'd like to post an image of the table, our helpful members will better understand what methods they can suggest.

You should find these step-by-step guides helpful: How to refresh a timber outdoor table and How to restore wooden furniture. They give you a pretty good idea of what's involved.

I'll be looking forward to seeing some before and after photos of your transformation. Keep us updated, and let me know if you have any more questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects