Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How easy is it to install a cat fence?

cha497
Just Starting Out

How easy is it to install a cat fence?

Last July 2022, I adopted a 3 months old male cat named Friday, from RSPCA Burwood. From small, Friday loves to be outdoors. Over time, as Friday grows older, he manages to scale a 6 feet fence to get out of the backyard.

There is a big neighbourhood cat who dropped by every now and then to have a fright with Friday. Recently Friday lost a patch of hair on his head.

I came across the Oscillot cat fence while searching for way to foolproof the fence to prevent Friday from scaling and neighbourhood cats from coming.

I know Bunnings has something similar.

My question is - is it easy to install without getting the professionals in and pay an arm and a leg for the installation.

Regards 

Wam Yee

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How easy is it to install a cat fence?

Hello @cha497 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your questions about installing a cat fence.

You'll need some basic tools such as a drill and drill bits to attach the cat proof fence kit. I recommend having a look at the RapidMesh 55 x 55 x 2000mm Black Cat Roller - 5 Pack, it's weatherproof and will cover an area of 10 meters. However, before you begin installation, it's important to measure the height of your fence. It must be at least 1.8 meters tall otherwise the cat will simply jump right over the fence. 

Some of the other things you'll need to consider are jump points of the cat. Anything that the cat can use to shorten its jump such as trash bins and ladders will need to be transferred. 

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the area you are planning on enclosing? Our members will then be able to assess the surroundings. We can then make recommendations on what you'll need to address before installing the cat fence.

If you have any other questions we can help you with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects