Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add drainage under deck?

GeoKoro13
Growing in Experience

How to add drainage under deck?

image.jpg

Hi everyone,

I’d like some recommendation regarding under deck drainage. I’m building a low profile deck but in order to be flash with the door I have dag around 30mm below the rest of the backyard.

Initially I thought to use an agi pipe and connect it to stormwater. But I read an article that might cause issues in an flooding event (https://cornellengineers.com.au/how-agricultural-drains-wreck-houses/).

My thought is to install the pipe nearly 2m away from the house.

Any thoughts?

Re: How to add drainage under deck?

That's pretty much it, Geoff (@GeoKoro13).

You'll connect the Agiline to the buried stormwater pipe, not the drain itself. Those two drain outlets will likely connect together directly under the soil. I've put a rendering together for you below to illustrate better. Your stormwater might not run off in the direction shown. You'll need to dig down to locate it.

The depth of the stormwater pipe will govern the fall you can establish. If the stormwater pipe is relatively close to the surface, then your Agiline will need to sit higher, so the water is transferred. If the stormwater pipe is 30cm underground, you'd need to have the Agiline buried10-20cm underground to establish an adequate fall between the two.

As @EricL mentioned, although you can do all the digging work and lay out the pipe, you might need a drainage professional to make the connections.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
GeoKoro13
Growing in Experience

Re: How to add drainage under deck?

Thanks so much @MitchellMc!

Did you just draw that?!?!? Amazing illustration! 
Ok, got it. I’ll do all the hard job and then I’ll pay someone to do the easy job 🤓

You guys are super helpful!

Thanks for the support!

George.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects