Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add drainage under deck?

GeoKoro13
Growing in Experience

How to add drainage under deck?

image.jpg

Hi everyone,

I’d like some recommendation regarding under deck drainage. I’m building a low profile deck but in order to be flash with the door I have dag around 30mm below the rest of the backyard.

Initially I thought to use an agi pipe and connect it to stormwater. But I read an article that might cause issues in an flooding event (https://cornellengineers.com.au/how-agricultural-drains-wreck-houses/).

My thought is to install the pipe nearly 2m away from the house.

Any thoughts?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add drainage under deck?

Hello @GeoKoro13

You raise an excellent point when planning drainage for a low-level deck. You'll notice that the topic that you linked to was very specific with the soil type that you should be watching out for. In clay soil, water tends to drain very slowly and often alters the consistency of the soil making it soft and pliable. 

When planning drainage for the bottom of your deck, I suggest putting a slope in the soil so that it points towards your backyard drain pit. You can also use a smaller diameter agi pipe to facilitate drainage. The last recommendation of course is to put in spoon drains. If you decide to put in spoon drains, I suggest building them yourself so that you can customize them to your decking layout. 

Generally, a spoon drain is a shallow channel that has been cemented over and allows water to enter from the sides and direct it towards the main drain. I've placed a sketch below to give you an idea of how it is made. In order to get a smooth rounded surface, I suggest using a 100mm PVC pipe and running it over the concrete surface to get a perfect round channel.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
GeoKoro13
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the response @EricL .

I attached a pic of my design with the drain location and drain pic.

So, around the deck I want to lay fake grass. But as I mentioned the soil under the deck will be 20-30mm deeper than the surrounding ground.

If I run an open drain under the deck will be still lower (approx 30mm) than the stormwater drain plus will be in the middle of grass. 
Am I missing something here?

George

BDC257E3-354F-4706-B77E-3DCCD3C045B0.jpeg

F3A6D4D7-FCAE-44AA-ADB2-3AC39A936B75.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @GeoKoro13

My apologies, I totally skipped right over that detail. That does present a bit of an issue, it will still be necessary for you to put a drain under the deck. I'm afraid you'll need to dig a channel so that you can link into the drain near your hot water heater. It might be necessary to dig a secondary emergency drain in case there is a very large downpour.  

If the deck is going to be covered, I suggest putting a gutter at the end of the roof so that the rainfall will not travel down to the bottom of the deck. I still recommend the laying of weedmat and drainage gravel to facilitate water drainage. However, before you start digging, I suggest checking the rules and regulations of the local council in your area about connecting to your local drain. Some states require that only a registered plumber make the connection.

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @ProjectPete for their recommendations.

Eric

GeoKoro13
Growing in Experience

@EricL,

Just to make sure I understand that correctly.

- Install an open drain (not ag pipe) from the decking area towards the drains next to the tank

- Connect the open drain to the drain somehow (given approvals and everything from council if applied)

- The area I’ve dag is enough for the height of my deck with some room under the joists. Do I need to dig more to lay drainage gravel?

George

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @GeoKoro13

I'm sorry, please ignore the open drain suggestion as this will not work for your situation. It will be necessary to use agi pipe underneath the deck. I suggest conducting a soil drain test in your proposed decking area. I propose digging a hole approximately 200mm wide and 300mm deep. Pour half a bucket of water into the hole and measure how long it takes for the water to drain. If it takes more than 10 minutes, you have soil that is high in clay content. However, if it drains quickly that means that you have good draining soil and water will not stand under your deck.  

If you have high clay content in your soil, it's important that the agi drain be properly laid out so that water inside falls away from your decking area. I recommend engaging the services of a registered plumber so that you can consult them about your drainage plans. I propose putting in the weed mat and fixing it place with plastic weed mat pins to keep it in place.

Eric

GeoKoro13
Growing in Experience

Thanks so much @EricL! I really appreciate your responses

GeoKoro13
Growing in Experience

Hi @EricL,

I was just thinking, could it be easier to install another catch basin (see photo) in the middle under the deck to collect the water and connect with pipe to the other drains next to my hot water?

George

E26F1BB0-6436-4A3B-A135-1D418B198C10.jpeg

Hi George (@GeoKoro13),

@EricL will be back after the weekend, and I trust he'll add anything I've missed. What you have there is more so an inspection outlet. It's designed to allow access to your pipework for cleaning. If you place a singular water catchment device under your deck in the middle, I'd recommend a stormwater pit. It's a similar idea but has a much larger capacity and is less likely to become blocked by debris. Having a drainage device in the area will help in torrential downpours. As per the rudimentary image below, adding Agiline over the site is the best drainage method. Your not only building a low-level deck, but you've sunken the area below the surrounding soil. With your plan, you'll need to remove all the water from the site as soon as possible after rain, or you'll see earlier decay of the deck's structure.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

GeoKoro13
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the response @MitchellMc.

So, you reckon it would be more effective to remove the water under the deck but installing agi pipe in the formation on the pic to cover more area.

The pipe has to have a fall towards the drain and then connecting the agi pipe with an adapter to the stormwater.

If you look the pic of the drains above (the one you see the chair), will I connect the pipe to the drain on the left (not the one with the overflow for the tank)?

What’s the minimum depth do I need to dig for the agi pipe?

Do I get the concept correctly?

George

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects