Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add shadecloth to brick wall on temporary basis?

Lynda2021
Getting Established

How to add shadecloth to brick wall on temporary basis?

Rented property, block of flats, unsafe to leave overnight. Brick wall facing west, wind not a real problem. Hope to reduce heat. Is there something I could stick to wall to hold the cloth?  Approx 450cm X 230cm.  Know unlikely but worth a try. Thank you. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: add shadecloth to brick wall on temporary basis ie remove each evenings regrettably.

Hello @Lynda2021

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about putting up shade cloth on a brick wall.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the area you're trying to cover? This will give us an idea if there is somewhere we can hook or maybe clamp the shade cloth to. Once we see the photo we will be able to assess how you can put your shade cloth up.

I recommend using Pillar 1.83 x 5m Cream 90% Shade Cloth. Although it is slightly shorter than 230cm, it is wide enough to cover your 450cm needs. It reduces heat and blocks 90% of UV, it can be used to create privacy and weather screens.

We look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Lynda2021
Getting Established

Re: add shadecloth to brick wall on temporary basis ie remove each evenings regrettably.

513ED553-8D9C-45B3-939F-75C3C79E9987.jpeg

Lynda2021
Getting Established

Apologies for delay in my response. Please see image. Thank you Eric.

It sounds like you could use these Icon Plastics 42mm Shade Clips @Lynda2021. You'd attach them in the top corners and a few along the four-metre length. It would be best to discreetly hammer in some Ramset 3.2 x 30mm Concrete Nails into the mortar lines between the bricks. That will allow you to hook the shade clips onto the nails and quickly remove them when you need to take the shade cloth down. Alternatively, you could use the shade clips to tie the shade cloth up with rope.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
seannami
Building a Reputation

Hi Lynda

I did the same thing on my rental a few years back- if you can add grommets to the shade cloth (you can get a set of grommets and grommet pliers at Spotlight) you can use these on the bricks to hold them up- I've used them for bean trellis, photos, mirrors, tools and other heavy things, so should be ok if you tie it to the handrail as well for an awning.

Link to brick clips if the above doesn't work: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/132124314637

Ebay is the only place I have found them so far, Bunnings didn't have anything that was stable enough for what I needed.

Many thanks, very helpful. I will check it out though suspect the brick face is too smooth to allow a grip. Well worth a good try though. Thanks again. 

The awning suggestion is a good idea but a neighbour has to have access to walk along the verandah to and from his place.

many thanks

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects