Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add shading for garden bed?

karrathaliss
Finding My Feet

How to add shading for garden bed?

Hi everyone :smile:

We live in Karratha for one.. I’ll post pics of our brand new garden bed. We weren’t expecting it to be this big (3.1x3.1) and aren’t sure how we can protect it from the extremely harsh crispy afternoon sun!

ive put a beach umbrella up in the meantime which is providing shade but it’s very temporary! 

I need something either easy to detach should we have cyclonic weather or something that will withstand a cyclone. I was initially thinking shade sail but now I’m thinking a screen to the side that catches afternoon sun might be super nice! Though I wouldn’t want the retaining walls to be covered if I can avoid it :smile:

thanks so much

791FA900-A837-4D21-8157-F031337D5DA9.jpeg

5294BDA3-8493-4583-95C3-4BEF89BD4A30.jpeg

B2657034-C8C3-4CF1-A04D-5ADDD9F8213E.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: shading for garden bed

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @karrathaliss. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about shading a garden bed.

Functionally wise, I don't think you can go past conduit hoop houses, and @Grub80 has contributed his amazing Garden shade hoop house. You might also be interested in @mandy111s111's Summer veggie patch project.

We've certainly got plenty of screening options if you were considering that. What's the wall of the garden bed made from? Perhaps you could attach it directly to the top of it. Or, you could sink a few Ultraposts straight into the soil inside the garden bed right next to the wall. Your screening could then be fixed to the posts instead of the wall. I'd agree that the screening would look lovely whilst also providing that protection from the afternoon sun. The only consideration might be, once we move into summer, will you be looking for more protection from the midday sun than what the screening on the side might provide?

Let me mention @Adam_W to see if he has any suggestions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell!

It’s actually ridgi concrete sleepers from Bunnings (we got about $7k+ of materials shipped up haha) I adore them. 

I’ll have a chat to my husband and research your suggestions I think the hoop house could be interesting and probably fairly easy to source locally. I think screening would look great, but midday afternoon sun and the permanency/inflexibility of it would be a factor. 

thanks so much!

Keep us updated @karrathaliss. I'm sure our members will be keen to see what option you go with.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects