Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach a timber screen to the house?

Alan__
Building a Reputation

How to attach a timber screen to the house?

Hi all,

I am looking at constructing a timber screen. One side needs to be attached to the house and the other side will be freestanding.

I will be using 135mm x 19mm spotted gum decking boards left over from a deck build.

Height will be approx. 2.2m and width approx. 1.5m and boards installed horizontally.

As shown in the photos there is a electrical and data point cover attached to the house.

Could a suggestion to what I should use as a post to the house please be made considering this limitation as well as the corresponding freestanding post?

Also, any tips to set the freestanding post in the correct location in relation to the house so it appears level and straight would be great as in the past I have struggled with this.

PXL_20220129_234228963.jpgPXL_20220129_234636791.jpgPXL_20220129_234558861.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber Screen Assistance

Hi @Alan__,

It looks like you have enough room to squeeze a 90 x 90mm Merbau post in there. It can be Dynabolted onto the bricks or preferably attached via threaded rod which has been glued into the brick with Chemset. The post will then be attached with washers and nuts. It's best to do a chemical fixing when you're that close to the edge, as it avoids the bricks cracking. 

I'd recommend a substantial concrete footer with a Pryda Post Anchor High Wind 600 x 90mm M12 embedded into it for the freestanding post. To get the post square with the house, you can either use a long piece of straight timber run off the face of the wall, or my preference would be a laser level.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects