Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach gate frame to brickwork?

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

How to attach gate frame to brickwork?

Hello Members,

The Wood screws dislocated from the wall. Should the gap be filled again with cement, drilled and fixed. (or) any alternative fixtures are available to prevent this from happening again. Reckon due to the wind pressure the door is frequently getting pushed for above event to happen. Could you please list the materials for resolving this.

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-18 at 11.33.34 AM.jpeg

Intent to replace below lock mechanism with door lock that can be accessed from both sides of the gate.  Can you please propose any suitable two way door lock and ways to close the holes in the gate (if that is exposed) after fixing the two way lock.

By the way, please propose suitable paint and tools (I'm paining for the first time) to touch up the scratches that were left over due to be movement of the dislocated gate.

Door LockDoor Lock

Thank you.

MM

Re: Side Door

Hello @MitchellMc @EricL @TedBear

I’am having problem in levelling the posts.

Post near the brick is higher than the post at fence side and to get balanced level the post at brick side is to be pushed in to the ground.

Post and the square hole

is pictured in below image.

AB852D00-1C2D-480E-AD80-DF9E4D41D5B3.jpeg

I recoon some mud/ concrete is inside the hole and to be removed. The hole is around 50CM deep. Which tool can be used for digging and removing the dirt from The square hole of size around 60mmx60mm.

Or the post is to be trimmed at the bottom. Which tool can be used for trimming the post.

Thanks

MM

The post is an old post and the chances are the mud occupying some space inside the hole.

Hi @nagumuthu 

1. Anchor to fix post to the wall - In the past when I have installed a steel gate to a brick wall (similar to your situation), I have used anka screws as I found I was nervous with dynabolts damaging bricks.
  2. Existing holes appear to be on mortar joints than or bricks. I wonder if that’s the reason they didn’t hold well! Perhaps cut protruding plastic plugs with a Stanley knife, fill the holes with a gap filler, before drilling a hole above or below that location. Once the post goes against that wall, no one would be able to see the remainings of the plug anyway!
  3.  Height difference – Perhaps tie a string line between posts just under the plastic caps of the fence posts and hang a lightweight line level like this?
  4. Once you figure out the longer post, mark the required height, remove post cap, cut the post down using an angle grinder and then re-install the cap.
  5. If the brick side post is only leaning away 5 mm, using an anchor towards the top of the post like a dynabolt or ankascrew, you may be able to mechanically push the post towards the brick wall.

Thanks @Neo19 @ for sharing the steps in detail.

I have purchased Dyna bolts for securing the post to brick wall. Will it crack the brick.

By the way, managed to get the post at same level. Removed dirt at the base of the post ( some of them are hardened inside the base ). While fixing them

in to the hole, pulled up and dropped it heavily with force and did this few times and now the level are same.

Anyway good to know about another tool - leveling in string line. Thanks for that.

The only question now is on Dyna bolt cracking bricks?

@MitchellMc @TedBear @EricL 

Sorry. Missed to ping you on above post.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nagumuthu 

Dynabolt screws are very strong, and they put tension in the material they are hooked into. If the brick is not strong enough it could crack under the strain. However, this all depends on the size of the Dynabolt. If you use a Dynabolt that is relatively small in size, then there won't be a lot of tension applied and the brick will be able to handle the stress. Can you please tell us what Dynabolt gauge size did you purchase?

If you are worried about the brick giving way, another option is to look at using Ramset AnkaScrews or the Chemset systems. Both these anchoring options don't apply any stress to the brick wall. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@nagumuthu 

I'll wait for the experts to weigh in. 

In my personal opinion,

DynaBolts can certainly be used in bricks according to it's product description and I am sure many have successfully used it for it for same purpose.  In my experience though, I have stopped using them for bricks after I broke one trying to attach a garage door rail to a brick wall.

It is possible that the particular brick was weak. 

I have used plenty of Dynabolts for fixing structures to concrete slab and they are very efficient for that. 

For bricks though, I'll stick with anka screws. 

You can add this in the drilled holes along with anka screws for additional strength. 

Hello @EricL 

Here is the detail for Dynabolt.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-10-x-75mm-countersunk-dynabolt-plus-masonry-anchor_p2269888?refer...

I bought this as recommended in one of above thread.

I might tight the bolt slowly and stop the turn at the point before any imperfections appear on the brick. I don’t wish for that to happen.

I am afraid Anka screws lead to situation on Day 1. The gate came out as secured with screw and plug concept.

I can try to drill hole on a brick for Dynabolt for its cracking behaviour. Again, not all bricks are the same.

Hello @Neo19 

Anka screws might be stronger than the wood screws used by Tradies earlier for fixing the gate and I reckon due to that reason the gate came off.

I second your statement that if it is concrete or stronger material,

Dyna is the best choice.

On other hand, Chemset is pretty expensive and not sure on its removal from the brick, if in case the gate is to be removed for any reason. (E.g.painting)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nagumuthu 

The Ramset 10 x 75mm Countersunk DynaBolt Plus Masonry Anchor should be ok as it is not too big and will not cause too much stress on the brick. Your proposed strategy of not putting too much stress on the bolt should be fine. Your goal is to have it firm but not overly tight and thereby preventing too much tension in the brick.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your gate fully repaired.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects