Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach gate frame to brickwork?

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

How to attach gate frame to brickwork?

Hello Members,

The Wood screws dislocated from the wall. Should the gap be filled again with cement, drilled and fixed. (or) any alternative fixtures are available to prevent this from happening again. Reckon due to the wind pressure the door is frequently getting pushed for above event to happen. Could you please list the materials for resolving this.

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-18 at 11.33.34 AM.jpeg

Intent to replace below lock mechanism with door lock that can be accessed from both sides of the gate.  Can you please propose any suitable two way door lock and ways to close the holes in the gate (if that is exposed) after fixing the two way lock.

By the way, please propose suitable paint and tools (I'm paining for the first time) to touch up the scratches that were left over due to be movement of the dislocated gate.

Door LockDoor Lock

Thank you.

MM

Re: Side Door

I have to paint below latch parts (for securing the gate), as the paint is peeled off. Should spray paint suitable for the purpose and does this metal need a primer. Are there any threads on how to paint below item; Should I mask anything with tape etc.

nagumuthu_0-1677385389722.png

Bunnings does cut timber to length @nagumuthu

For timber, you'd typically paint with a brush, but if you need to purchase spray paint for the latch, then you could spray paint the timber as well. 

Unless we know what the Colorbond colour is, it's hard to tell through pictures on a computer. Take a look at the colours I've posted below. Your colour appears to be a bit of a blue-grey, so I suspect it might be Ironstone or potentially even Deep Ocean.

I'd recommend scuffing the surface up and removing any loose paint with 120-grit sandpaper. You can then spray the latch with a product and colour similar to Dulux 300g Metalshield Multipurpose Spray Paint Ironstone. No areas need to be taped up, just do several light coats allowing the paint to dry in between them.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc. I will pick up few color cards (from IronStone, Deep Ocean and similar colors) from Bunnings for the best match.

I lost few screws of below type (not sure of their name). The screw head use Socket #8 at a length of 20mm. May I know how to name these screws for shopping at Bunnings.

nagumuthu_0-1677386485678.png

Those are self-tapping screws and similar to these Buildex Roof Zip C4 HexHead Screws M6 x 25 Basalt Pbx100 @nagumuthu

Mitchell

Hello @MitchellMc 

Does Bunnings sell below latch item. It looks bend and wondering on getting a new one.

nagumuthu_0-1677388055916.png

As far as I'm aware, that type of latch should have a dogleg bend to it @nagumuthu. You can see with this similar latch Protector Aluminium D-Latch and Striker Pack that it has a bend too. I can't tell, but yours might be bent more than usual.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc. Probably due to wind speed, the door is moving within the latch and cause the bend due to long term impact (2 years of movement).

Thanks for sharing the link for the latch.

Hey Mitchell, you're life saver here on my own project. 

Thank you! 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Steve2024. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and it's great to hear that this discussion has assisted you with your own project.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please feel free to reach out anytime you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects