Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a deck

Bibes09
Just Starting Out

How to build a deck

Hi,

i'm building a deck 3500mm x 8000mm. i am trying to work out what size timber i should use, the spacing required and also how many posts i need.

Would anyone happen to be able to provide me with a diagram and advise the most cost effective options for timber selection 

thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a deck

Hi @Bibes09,

As per the previous discussion, I'll include the diagram below. It shows spacing required and also how many posts you need. Let me know if you have any issues interpreting the diagram or have questions. Stumps are spaced 1528mm apart, the four bearers at 1085mm apart and the 19 joists at 440mm apart.

What I have included here are 140 x45mm bearers with 90 x 45mm joists over them. The most cost-effective timber option would be to use treated pine for the whole deck.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

thanks - very helpful.

i'm connecting the deck to the house on one of the 8000mm sides so do i still need to put in the 6 stumps or can i brace off the house and not have to put in as many stumps.

when you say treated pine - is that H3 F7?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Bibes09,

Depending on how the house is constructed, a ledger board can be attached to it, doing away with the needed posts on that side. The ledger board allows you to connect the deck to the house and brace off it. For the frame of the deck, you'll use treated pine H3 MGP10. H3 F7 is generally primed and finished, suitable for painting and not needed for deck frame construction.

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How To Build A Timber Deck.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bal
Getting Established

1 m apart post in ground for the base 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects