Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a raised garden bed against Colorbond fence?

Sn0wy
Finding My Feet

How to build a raised garden bed against Colorbond fence?

Hi, looking for some advice here.

We are looking at building a raised garden bed using the VersaSmooth Block . The raised garden bed will be an "L" shape approx 2 blocks high and around 600mm wide. The issue is this will be up against a standard good neighbor fence which I'm told by various people we will need to build some sort of wall/backing at the back of the raised garden bed so that the dirt when filled doesn't make contact with the fence and rust it or worse push it out.

Looking for solutions or an example of what can be done to do this correctly?. I have seen a video of the Adbri masonry using Villaboard for the backing. just not sure if this is a good idea with the amount of soil and pressure that could cause issues with the fence. 

thanks everyone!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Raised Garden Bed against Colorbond Fence

Hi @Sn0wy 

I suggest leaving a 300mm gap behind the proposed raised garden bed. This will allow you to service the back of the raised garden bed and will prevent moisture from being trapped between the raised garden bed and the fence. I suggest using the same Versa Smooth Block for the back of the raised garden bed. I recommend increasing the size of the bed in order to compensate for the thickness of the block.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion -   Advice needed to lay brick raised flower bed by @Brunnie_Rich. The discussion should give you good ideas about laying down a foundation for your Versa Smooth Blocks.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects