Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a small footpath?

jasonlin
Finding My Feet

How to build a small footpath?

Hi,

I want to build a small footpath for around 8sqm (2x4m) and 10cm depth.

what kind of cement, sand and gravel I should use? and how much do I need?

I also need your advise for the ratio of cement, sand and gravel. I was told 1:2:3. Is that correct?

thanks

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: what kind of cement, sand and gravel I should use?

Hi @jasonlin 

You  are definatly on the  right path pardon the  pun.

10 cm  yes  perfect.    ( add some reo  mesh into path to make it stronger if you wish )

Jack 1800 x 1050 x 5mm Light Duty Reo Mesh I/N: 1060321 $39.98

https://www.bunnings.com.au/jack-1800-x-1050-x-5mm-light-duty-reo-mesh_p1060321

Mix your own cement You Need general purpose  builders cement and  at the ratio 1 cement, 2 sand  and 3 blue metal  is fine.

Cement eg 

9 x  Bastion 20kg General Purpose Cement I/N: 0760330 $8.49 

From landscapers

Approx 0.8 cubic meters Brickies sand.  Must be Brickies sand .  

Approx 0.8 cubic meters Recycled aggregate or blue  metal stones

Big tip: 

Can I suggest  a  pre mixed Concrete  as it has sand cement and gravel all pre mixed together  all you need is a wheel barrow and water. just buy as many bags as you need,  You  volumn is 0.1 thick x 2 wide x 4 long(8 m2)  = 0.8m3 cubic metres This  requires 90 bags of 20kg cement as  per below. 

Bastion 20kg Concrete Mix I/N: 0038287 $8.27

https://www.bunnings.com.au/bastion-20kg-concrete-mix_p0038287

Hope this   helps.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a small footpath?

Hello @jasonlin 

Thanks for sharing your question about how to build a footpath. I suggest having a look at this guide - How to lay paving for a path by @Adam_W. I also recommend having a look at this discussion - Travertine pavers and gravel garden path by @TaylerMayd. These topics will give you a good idea of how to build your own pathway.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

Can you please tell us what kind of pathway were you thinking of building? A pathway with step pavers or pavers joined together? Do you have an inspiration image you would like to emulate? This will give our members a better idea of what you are trying to build. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric,

I just want a pathway with flat concrete, nothing fancy. No step and no pavers. only concrete

thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jasonlin,

If you are after laying a concrete slab for your pathway, I suggest reading through this helpful step-by-step guide: How to pour a concrete slab. As @Jewelleryrescue mentioned, typically, you'd buy pre-mixed concrete for such a project. Here's a handy calculator to work out the requirements.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects