Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to care for Merbau pre-oiled fence pickets before installation?

richardk
Just Starting Out

How to care for Merbau pre-oiled fence pickets before installation?

Hi community

total newbie here, never done anything with wood or tools before but as a new home owner am unexpectedly keen to have a crack.

I recently purchased some merbau fence pickets from Bunnings to build some screening. These have been pre-oiled and i am just reading some horror stories talking about tanin leakage and staining concrete and wot not. I would like to avoid this situation, and i would like to treat this timber with care as it looks great.

Can someone please tell me the steps to making sure i don't have such problems, and that the timber looks as good as it can?

For example, I have read something about "weathering" it, but i'm not sure what that means? Does it mean leaving it in the sun? Or does it mean it needs to be rained on? For how long? There is some rain coming to sydney this week so it might be a good chance to leave it out.

or have i misunderstood that totally?

Also, i am aware now that this pre-oiled timber needs more oil. Am i supposed to strip-off the pre-oil somehow and apply some more oil? Or apply some more oil on top of the pre-oil? Does this happen before or after the "weathering"?

Sorry if this are silly questions, as mentioned, never done anything like this before.

Many thanks in advance!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to care for merbau pre-oiled fence pickets before installation?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @richardk. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about pre-oiled Merbau timber.

Those are not silly questions at all.

If you have concerns about tannin bleed from our pre-oiled products, a thorough and regular hose down during the first few days will assist in flushing excess tannin away and minimise subsequent staining. You could leave them out in the rain, but a few hose-downs will normally do it. Make sure to place the timber on the grass so the tannins don't leak onto any light-coloured surfaces. For more information, check out this guide.

You don't need to strip off the existing oil to apply new oil. You would apply the new oil after the tannin removal process. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks heaps for the response and the link Mitchell.

The guide specifically says not to leave it out in the weather, so a few vigorous hosing-downs it is!

Just one more follow-up question: i assume the second top-coat oiling be done after the cuts are made (so the end-bit gets oi)l. But should this be done after it is attached to the frame (after screws have gone in) Or before attaching it to the frame?

Thanks v. much.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @richardk 

From a painting point of view, it would be easier to oil the panel before you fix it in place. This will allow you to oil it back-to-back and not get anything else accidentally covered in oil.    

Please keep us updated with your project, we look forward to seeing your picket fence oiled and assembled.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects