Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to choose a smart lock?

TCourtney
Just Starting Out

How to choose a smart lock?

I am with the Laverton Park Tennis Club.
We wish to install a smart lock on our club room door.
I find it very difficult finding the details I need from the lock descriptions given to find a match to our requirements.
Am wondering if there is some Bunnings expertise that could help find a suitable lock.

Our door is an aluminium one, frame is 38mm thick and has 58mm back set.
There is an existing mortise lock, it has a latch and a deadbolt but only the latch is operational.
Going forward with or without a deadbolt would be satisfactory.

I see as the best unlock method for the club being RFID concept, either card or FOB.
But we would need to cater for up to 100 different cards as we have that many members. This seems the main sticking point.
It would be nice to use the RFID FOBs we already have, so they can be programmed in.

It would be ok to have other unlock methods (Pinpad, fingerprint, mobile phone) available, but I see RFID as the dominant one.
Once only pin codes could allow tradesman entrance.

Access update (add remove RFID cards), self locking features, safe egress are other features we need to look at.

Hoping you can help.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to choose a smart lock?

Hello @TCourtney 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's splendid to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about choosing a smart lock.

I recommend having a look at the Lockly Duo Compact Satin Nickel. It has a default fingerprint storage of 99 profiles and 50 unique combination codes. Because it is linked to Wi-Fi you can have a small google speaker unit near the desk and voice operate it. 

There are other brands that have similar features, please let me make a few inquiries so that I can provide you with more details. I'll be calling the supplier on Monday and as soon as I have more information, I'll post it here.

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric

Thanks for your reply.

Back a bit I had a looks at the Lockly Supreme Lux because it seemed the only Lockly lock that handled a large number of RFID tokens.

I didn't proceed because I could get info on update a list of valid fobs and the lock was complicated, seemed to have several deadbolts.

During last week I looked at the Samsung DH537 through Bunnings, eventually I could get info of how fob list update worked, 

Have had a look at Salto range, where Salto themselves don't recommend their products in a single lock application as maintenance software too expensive not to be absorbed over many a lock.

Finding it all very confusing.

Regards

TC

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @TCourtney

Upon further research I'm afraid that the Lockly capacity is fixed at that amount. However, as an alternative, I recommend having a look at the Delf Trade Matt Black Digital Entrance Lock. It can take up to 150 user passcodes and can be allocated to anyone you wish. It comes with Delf's exclusive 2 Year Guarantee for your peace of mind and suits doors 36mm - 45mm thick.

Here is a link to its installation manual: DelfDDL120 Installation

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects