Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What paint to use on vinyl wrap on my boat?

paulk
Just Starting Out

What paint to use on vinyl wrap on my boat?

Hi , I need your help to decide on what sort of paint to use to paint my vinyl wrap on my boat. The vinyl is 7 years old and it has gone flat with lots of scratches and stains, I have preference not to change the Vinyl wrap but to paint it with a paint that will stick plus it will cover all the above mentioned eyesores. I prefer if i can use a roller or brush without excluding spray cans or spraygun. The colour of the vinyl wrap is 3M DUAL CAST 1080 CHARCOAL METALIC GLOSS. I have been reading about RUSTOLEUM PAINTS  That apparently are flexible suitable for vinyl and give you UV protection. If this is one of the options how do I get a matching color? I would kindly ask for your opinion and I will take full responsibility on your answers. Thank you

Lady Marilena 3.jpgLady Marilena 4.jpgLady Marilena 5.jpgLady Marilena 7.jpgLADY MARILENA 8.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What paint to use on vinyl wrap on my boat?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @paulk. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting a boat.

Hand painting a boat of this calibre should not be considered. Even if you used the correct marine-grade paints that were suitable for painting over vinyl, it still wouldn't be advisable to paint the boat yourself unless you have experience in marine coatings. The finish you'd achieve will be so sub-par that you risk devaluing the boat astronomically. 

The only option I can think of that would be a viable solution is removing the wrap and having the boat detailed or replacing the wrap. Do you know what the paint's condition is like under the wrap? It would be in your best interests to speak with a professional marine painter to discuss options that would increase or at least maintain the value of the boat.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects