Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to choose drill for garden auger?

ironbark
Building a Reputation

How to choose drill for garden auger?

Hi, I have a large Land for wildlife garden and having already planted hundreds of trees,  I still have a great many more to plant. My body is showing too much wear and tear and I need an easier way of making the holes. I picked up some soil augers the other day and am looking for a suitable DeWalt drill to use. My battery system is 6AH XRFlex volt, I was wondering if the dcd999n - XE - 18v flexvolt would do the job? Is there maybe a cheaper option?

Many thanks  - ironbark🐨

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: which drill foe garden auger

Hi @ironbark,

What size are the auger's blade widths and shanks that you picked up? Battery-powered drills can be used for soil augers, but it's important to consider the soil conditions. A model like the Dewalt 18V FlexVolt Advantage Hammer Drill DCD999N-XE would be the minimum strength drill to use, and even then, its effectiveness depends on how compact and rocky your soil is.  

To save time and effort, I would suggest hiring a post-hole digger for 24 hours to drill all your holes in one go. This is not only the cheapest option but also the most effective way to ensure the job is done proficiently. The post-hole digger will have the required torque to break through compacted soil and cope much better if you have rocky conditions.

You might like to have a read through this discussion:  Garden auger bits - what drill is suitable? by @pstq 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects