Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean and paint metal carport?

kagomechan
Growing in Experience

How to clean and paint metal carport?

33229933_16_x.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to clean and paint metal carport?

Hello @kagomechan

Thanks for sharing your question about painting your metal carport. I recommend giving the entire metal frame a wash with Monarch 3L Sugar Soap with Mould Remover in combination with Scotch-Brite 155 x 100mm Heavy Duty Scourer Pad - 6 Pack. Make sure to wash everything off before you start painting.

If you prefer a spray-painted finish I recommend using Ozito 400W Power Paint Spray Gun. However, you can also use a brush or roller to apply the paint. Please be aware that these will either leave paint brush marks or roller marks on the surface.

I suggest lightly sanding the surface of the metal frame to prepare it for painting. Once you've sanded it wipe down the surface with a damp cloth to remove dust and debris on the surface. I suggest using the White Knight Rust Guard Medium Grey Metal Primer Paint to prime the surface of your metal frame. Once the primer is totally dry, I recommend White Knight Rust Guard Satin White Quick Dry Advanced Enamel Paint as your top coat. Please note that this topcoat can be tinted to your preferred colour. 

Here is a handy guide: Paint sprayer buying guide: how to choose a paint sprayer

Here is a link to a project that uses a spray gun: How to paint a fence with a spray gun

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kagomechan
Growing in Experience

That's really helpful Eric. Thanks again

Keep us updated on your progress @kagomechan, and please reach out if you need further assistance. I trust our members will be keen to see your results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects